• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unreported Military divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bme0493

My ex-husband of over a year is currently active duty in the military. He has yet to report our divorce to the military. Im just curious what the penalty of unreported divorce in the military is?

Just Blue

My ex-husband of over a year is currently active duty in the military. He has yet to report our divorce to the military. Im just curious what the penalty of unreported divorce in the military is?
Are you using military benefits/perks for yourself?

LdiJ

No, I dont use any of them. I have tried to make him report it and he hasnt. He has 2 more years in the military and has no plans to report it.
Well, he is collecting married BAH and maybe BAS (I think that's the one) so he is collecting money he is not entitled to collect. That is a serious offense. It could ruin his career if he is caught. Do you have children together and does he pay child support?

Bme0493

Well, he is collecting married BAH and maybe BAS (I think that's the one) so he is collecting money he is not entitled to collect. That is a serious offense. It could ruin his career if he is caught. Do you have children together and does he pay child support?
Yes, he pays child support for our one child. I want to report him but I dont want him to know it was me and I dont know how to do it. I also dont want my child resenting me later for his absence if he ends up getting criminal charges and going broke.

LdiJ

Yes, he pays child support for our one child. I want to report him but I dont want him to know it was me and I dont know how to do it. I also dont want my child resenting me later for his absence if he ends up getting criminal charges and going broke.
You should probably leave it be. You really don't want to be the one to get him in trouble. It's likely to catch up with him anyway.

Just Blue

Brilliant! Report the father of your child. You do understand that he can't pay child support in prison right? And no more military health insurance for kiddo as well. And yeah...your child will blame you...BIG TIME.

Leave it to the military to discover...they will eventually.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
He's not going to go to jail nor have criminal charges. Worst case scenario (for him) is that he has to pay back any overages, perhaps get a counseling. However.... there may not BE any over-payment, depending on how much child support he pays.

If you're determined to report it, you can do so through the Inspector General of his whatever Branch he's in. Google "inspector general + Army (or Navy, AF, etc) and you'll find out how to report.

LdiJ

He's not going to go to jail nor have criminal charges. Worst case scenario (for him) is that he has to pay back any overages, perhaps get a counseling. However.... there may not BE any over-payment, depending on how much child support he pays.

If you're determined to report it, you can do so through the Inspector General of his whatever Branch he's in. Google "inspector general + Army (or Navy, AF, etc) and you'll find out how to report.
I do not believe that you are accurate about this. A divorced military person is not permitted to continue to receive married BAH if they are no longer married. The fact that the person is ordered to pay child support is not relevant to that issue.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
A divorced military person is not permitted to continue to receive married BAH if they are no longer married.
That's apparently not correct. A service member may still get BAH even if they have no dependents living with them. But the rate of BAH they get does depend in part on whether they do have dependents living with them. The military gives an overview of Types of BAH that may be helpful in understanding the benefits available.

The fact that the person is ordered to pay child support is not relevant to that issue.

Perhaps not, but the military does say in the article I linked: "Additionally, you may be entitled to some BAH amounts if you are residing separately from your dependents. This occurs in situations involving unaccompanied overseas tours or having a dependent child that resides with a former spouse." So having kids, even if they live with former spouse, is relevant.

LdiJ

That's apparently not correct. A service member may still get BAH even if they have no dependents living with them. But the rate of BAH they get does depend in part on whether they do have dependents living with them. The military gives an overview of Types of BAH that may be helpful in understanding the benefits available.

Perhaps not, but the military does say in the article I linked: "Additionally, you may be entitled to some BAH amounts if you are residing separately from your dependents. This occurs in situations involving unaccompanied overseas tours or having a dependent child that resides with a former spouse." So having kids, even if they live with former spouse, is relevant.
I should have said that they cannot continue to receive BAH at the married rate once they are divorced. BAH is the basic allowance for housing so pretty much all service people get it unless they are housed for free.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I should have said that they cannot continue to receive BAH at the married rate once they are divorced. BAH is the basic allowance for housing so pretty much all service people get it unless they are housed for free.
LdiJ, I"m curious as to what your background is with military matters, because you're really mistaken here. Why do you keep insisting on posting incorrect information when the ACCURATE information has been posted? BAH-DIF is for ADSMs who pay child support. Depending on the # of children/amount of support, it could very well be the same as what he's getting as a married ADSM.

LdiJ

LdiJ, I"m curious as to what your background is with military matters, because you're really mistaken here. Why do you keep insisting on posting incorrect information when the ACCURATE information has been posted? BAH-DIF is for ADSMs who pay child support. Depending on the # of children/amount of support, it could very well be the same as what he's getting as a married ADSM.
I am not disagreeing, I was clarifying my wording. My point was that I did not mean to say that someone had to be married to get BAH. I did not know that someone unmarried, but paying child support got assistance with the child support via BAH-DIF, that was good information to learn.

bcr229

OP were you awarded any portion of your husband's military pension as part of the property settlement? If so has that information been reported to DFAS? If so then they already know he's divorced and have made the appropriate adjustments; the military financial systems are pretty well integrated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">