• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unresponsive management after move out charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lanadel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia; Student housing apartment complex

Short Version:

I sent an email to management disputing carpet charges ($80) around January 15, 2015 for my lease that ended on December 31, 2014. I received a reply basically saying "I'm busy, and I'll get to it when I can." I responded saying I would I would like this matter resolved. This cycle continued with her again saying "I'm busy" about 3 or 4 times. This time it's been 3 weeks since I've heard from her...which I didn't follow up on.

Basically, my carpet was spotless when I moved out, and I know for a fact that these charges are unfair. I took pictures the day I moved out, however, I didn't take detailed pictures of the carpet. I went to the rental office and was kicked out and told to wait for an email response. I also didn't have a security deposit, so I owe management $80.

What should my next step be?

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

Either...

1. Pay the $80

2. Don't pay and wait to see if they turn this over to collections or sue you for this amount. If they sue, be prepared to dispute this amount in court. However, since you didn't have pictures of the carpet at move out, this might be difficult to prove, especially if management does have them.

Because you haven't heard from them, it is likely they are not pursuing this small amount any further with you.

Gail

Last edited:

lanadel

Either...

1. Pay the $80

2. Don't pay and wait to see if they turn this over to collections or sue you for this amount. If they sue, be prepared to dispute this amount in court. However, since you didn't have pictures of the carpet at move out, this might be difficult to prove, especially if management does have them.

Because you haven't heard from them, it is likely they are not pursuing this small amount any further with you.

Gail
Thank you.

Do you know if there is a specified period where they have to respond or the charges can get dropped? If they say the charge is for carpet cleaning, do they need a receipt of carpet cleaning by a certain time, etc.?

OK-LL

Did you clean the carpets at the end of your tenancy (usually post move-out)? If so, did you keep the receipt so you can show the manager or the court that you did so? If not, it's likely a legitimate charge, despite your contention that it was spotless. You simply cannot live on a carpet for a year without grinding dirt into the fibers which requires cleaning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">