• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unruly neighbors:HOA and landlord pay lip service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phoenixruth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

We've owned a home next to a houseful of unruly renters for the past year. They've repeatedly thrown trash in our yard, made excessive noise, one of them threatened me with bodily harm and two of the teenagers threw rocks at our garage door and put a hole in it. The list of additional HOA violations is a really long one.

I've filed two police reports and plan to seek a personal protection order next week.

They've nearly been evicted twice, but at this point we feel as though the HOA and landlord are looking the other way and not wanting the hassle of evicting them and repairing all the damage they've done to the property.

I think we've all wanted to give them a fair chance to make a go of it, since it's a community several steps above their obvious means. But the excuse of making sacrifices for others due to a bad economy is wearing thin.

So what are our options? Sell and move away? Sue the landlord? Enter into legal arbitration with the HOA? Go to local media and expose the HOA?

Thank you very much for your time and valuable help with this. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

Keep going to the police EVENTUALLY they might consider the property a nuisance and make a HUGE stink with the owner ! but keep going to the police!

phoenixruth

Farmer J, thanks for the good advice. I will keep going to the police.

A suit wouldn't get far in court. There were no monetary damages as we made the repair with things we had around the house, and the only proof I have of who did it is that I saw the teenagers casing the front of the house two days before the night of the rock throwing incident, which no one witnessed.

DoRight

You mentioned that the tenants had almost been evicted twice. What were the circumstances, please? Did you complain in writing to the HOA board of directors? Did they respond in writing to you telling you they would address the matter(s)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">