• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Unsafe speed" ticket following single vehicle accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

That would actually be irrelevant insofar as her violation is concerned. It could posted for 50mph and one can be charged for violating the code section even at 1mph, based on the wording of the code.
That's not lost on me, I simply wonder why the op is being coy about the actual speeds involved.

My guess is that the op was traveling quite a bit over 1 mph. ;)

That's not lost on me, I simply wonder why the op is being coy about the actual speeds involved.

My guess is that the op was traveling quite a bit over 1 mph. ;)
Ok, I get that yall are skeptical of newbies posting questions here. The posted speed leading up to the curve is 45 mph, then once the road straightens out, the speed limit imediatly increases to 70 mph. I was going aproximately 15 mph through the curve. (Remember, I know the curve is trecherous.) Once I was past the curve, I applied light (light) throttle in order to pick up speed. Broke traction thanks to torque and slippery road. Started sliding at about 20 mph. It seems like that is irrelevant because of how the law is written

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, I get that yall are skeptical of newbies posting questions here. The posted speed leading up to the curve is 45 mph, then once the road straightens out, the speed limit imediatly increases to 70 mph. I was going aproximately 15 mph through the curve. (Remember, I know the curve is trecherous.) Once I was past the curve, I applied light (light) throttle in order to pick up speed. Broke traction thanks to torque and slippery road. Started sliding at about 20 mph. It seems like that is irrelevant because of how the law is written
The fact that you know the dangers of the curve actually hurts you more than it helps you.

Thanks for your input. I got the info I needed in order to make an informed decision on how I will proceed. Much appreciated everyone!

Zigner

Thanks for your input. I got the info I needed in order to make an informed decision on how I will proceed. Much appreciated everyone!
Best of luck to you - and for your own safety, as well as the safety of those around you, please take care when driving, especially during inclement weather.

xylene

Something is wrong with your car - the tires, or steering or suspension, maybe even the differential or a combination of problems to lose traction and wreck at 15 to 20 mph on a curve posted at 45 - even in the rain.

That's not normal, proper, handling performance. Even in a big rear wheel drive vehicle.

quincy

Good luck.

And whatever you decide to do with your ticket, it still might be worthwhile for you to look into having the road's curve evaluated for safety.

Zinger, I don't appreciate your patronizing remark. Thanks for the legal reference, but, I could do without the PSA at the end. I'm sorry that I wanted to go faster than 20mph in a 70mph zone.

Xylene, I think the many wrecks in that same spot would indicate that it's not just my car.

Quincy, thank you. I will look into the process of having that spot evaluated for safety.

quincy

Zinger, I don't appreciate your patronizing remark. Thanks for the legal reference, but, I could do without the PSA at the end. I'm sorry that I wanted to go faster than 20mph in a 70mph zone.

Xylene, I think the many wrecks in that same spot would indicate that it's not just my car.

Quincy, thank you. I will look into the process of having that spot evaluated for safety.
You're welcome, Nimravus. I appreciate the thanks. Good luck.

(I don't see Zigner's remark as patronizing)

Zigner

I am really hoping to educate you here. If you wish to call it patronizing, then so be it. The maximum speed you were allowed to travel there was far less than 70mph based on the conditions at the time. You are only allowed to drive as fast as is safe for conditions. This is VERY important for you (and every other driver) to understand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">