• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsure how to proceed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Wyoming.

Hi, I have a bad situation at home. My 16 yr old daughter had a baby last year and was living with me at the time. She has since then married the baby's father in March, but my grandson still lives with me. They are badly in dept, and cannot afford to keep him at home with them. Then, on Aug. 11th, the dad joined the army and has moved to s. carolina. my daughter was supposed to live with me and go to school, but after dad left, she decided that she wanted to live somewhere else because she didn't want to follow my rules and doesn't want to go to school.

I was going to try to get guardianship, but was told by lawyers in my area that I would have to go through DFS. But, DFS just informed me this isn't true.

My daughter is on drugs, involved in self mutilation and is sleeping with other people while her husband is gone. She will be 17 in Sept., but now, after everything that has been going on since her husband left, I want full custody. I really can't afford a lawyer since I have 3 other children living at home. How do I go about filing for custody. DFS said I could file without a lawyer but didn't go any further than that.

PLEASE GIVE ANY ADVICE! I cannot have my grandson growing up in that kind of environment.


Senior Member
They didn't go any farther because they can't. You have no legal rights to the child unless the court finds the mother unfit in which case, the father will be granted custody.

you would have to show that BOTH parents are unfit to gain custody over the father.

The ONLY think anyone can advise is to see the services of an attorney to file for emergency temporary custody. Since you can't afford it then the other advice is to forget it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential