• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UnSure of what To Do!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AJ'sMom

What is the name of your state?MI

I have a 6 mos old child, and before she was born I spoke with her dad and told him that no matter what happens between us, that is between us, and do not put our child in it. At the time he agreed. He does not pay child support, or have scheduled days to visit her. I have never pressed him about the issue. Whenever he wanted to see her I would let him come to my house and see her. I don't approve of his mother seeing her, because she drinks alot, and can be violent, and even when she doesn't drink she can still get violent. All this he is aware of and had no problem with it. Since my daughter has been born he has given me money for her 3 times. Recently he came to see her, and started on me about her seeing his mother, and I told him I already explained that and I don't want to agrue about it. Well he nip picked on everthing I was doing, and I asked him to leave. I told him if we can't talk in a civil matter, then he needs to leave because I don't want her to see this. He would not leave, and I had to call the police. When they got to my house, he made it seem as though I was a bad parent, that I have caused problems with him coming to see her, that he gives me money for her, and that is tring and I am the problem. The one police officer kinda understood where I was coming from and the other said to me that I was using my daughter as a pawn, because I didn't like his mother, and that I was tring to detate who he took our daughter around. The whole time the police were here, he was the one getting loud, and I felt like they looked at me at just another mother who was getting down on a man who was tring to be a father. I want my daughter to know her father, and his family but I don't want her to be around anyone who conducts themselves in front of a child the way the do in front of adults. I feel that his mother is the one who puts alot of this negative mess into his head and he takes it out on me, and uses our child as the reason he is upset. Until we go to court I have told him he is not allowed to come to my house, because of his actions. My thing is I don't know my rights, and how I am allowed by law to handle this situation. I just want what is best for my child. This man can barely take care of himself, and has made excuses for why he can't come see her when he has called in advance to say he was coming. He will say he is tired, or had something to do. But in front of other people he makes me look like I am the bad person. Someone please advise me on what to do, because I am unsure. Sorry this is so long, and some of it may not make sense!

misslawli

Untill there is a court order he is not "legally" obligated to pay support. At the same time Untill there is a court order you don't have to let him see her.

HOWEVER, Once the court order is in place, you can not with hold visitation for any reason. He will be able to take her anywhere(pretty much) Even to see his mom and there is nothing you can do to stop it. If you don't allow visitaion, you will be in contempt of court and after a few contempt charges he could wind up with custody. Scary thought. If you can show that you are trying to foster a good relationship between the two of them, it will look better for you. I understand your feelings about his mom, but you will have to face the fact that she will be seeing her soon. You can't control where she goes on his time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">