• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure of what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

namtrem

My ex-girlfriend owes me $1500. I would like to take her to small claims court to resolve this problem. Is it true that in the state of Oregon you need to attempt collection BEFORE filing? If so, what about a restraining order keeping me from contacting her?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

namtrem said:
My ex-girlfriend owes me $1500. I would like to take her to small claims court to resolve this problem. Is it true that in the state of Oregon you need to attempt collection BEFORE filing? If so, what about a restraining order keeping me from contacting her?
My response:

In most jurisdictions, it is a requirement that an attempt to collect a debt be performed prior to filing a lawsuit. However, if you have a restraining order against you, such an attempt to make contact to settle the debt prior to a lawsuit would be absolutely detrimental to your sense of Freedom - - i.e., you'd be risking jail time.

Therefore, file your lawsuit, have it served by a law enforcement authority, and when you get before the judge, you can explain why you couldn't make an attempt to collect prior to filing.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">