• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsure where to post this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I recently found out that my ex's attorney hired my attorney to defend him in court. He was/is $50K in arrears in his own CS. During this time, our case was very active and in fact I have cancelled checks showing payment to my attorney and countless emails regarding our case. I also just found out that my ex was on a payment plan with his attorney to finish off paying close to $60K. Surprisingly (NOT) my attorney started to agree to settle on reductions in CS in my case and also a settlement in the arrears. He basically stopped representing my best interests and in a sense my ex's attorney finally "won" something for my ex. While he was representing the other, motions for my case were not filed timely and in the end it cost me close to $25K in attorney's fees and CS lost for our son.

I am switching attorneys obviously but I am very upset over the money that I spent on mine to only find out that there was a serious conflict of interest going on and I am considering reporting him to the bar association but do not want to appear "sue happy". I am just very upset over this situation. I feel very betrayed and feel that my attorney should have never represented ex's attorney while our case was still very active.

Any thoughts?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I recently found out that my ex's attorney hired my attorney to defend him in court. He was/is $50K in arrears in his own CS. During this time, our case was very active and in fact I have cancelled checks showing payment to my attorney and countless emails regarding our case. I also just found out that my ex was on a payment plan with his attorney to finish off paying close to $60K. Surprisingly (NOT) my attorney started to agree to settle on reductions in CS in my case and also a settlement in the arrears. He basically stopped representing my best interests and in a sense my ex's attorney finally "won" something for my ex. While he was representing the other, motions for my case were not filed timely and in the end it cost me close to $25K in attorney's fees and CS lost for our son.

I am switching attorneys obviously but I am very upset over the money that I spent on mine to only find out that there was a serious conflict of interest going on and I am considering reporting him to the bar association but do not want to appear "sue happy". I am just very upset over this situation. I feel very betrayed and feel that my attorney should have never represented ex's attorney while our case was still very active.

Any thoughts?
I am not sure what I think about that.

I honestly don't know if that qualifies as a conflict of interest or not. An attorney representing another attorney in a case of child support and arrearages, while opposing that same attorney in another case of child support and arrearages? Its also possible that you were not the only client in that same situation. The smaller the attorney pool in your area, the more likely it would be that ANY attorney that could represent your ex's attorney would have clients in a similar situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">