• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unum wants bene overpayment back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Woeful

After jumping thru UNUMs hoops 2 consider my claim I was finally apprvd 4 disability bene's. Since the claim took so long 2 go thru I was paid a lump sum check @ 1st paying me back 2 the a/o date I became disabled. Now, many mos. later, I'm threatened w/having 2 pay them back $19,000+ w/in 30 dys 4 an overpymt error or face losing bene's completely which they've also reduced more than $2000/mo.
In 1 of many forms I completed 4 UNUM, they asked if I was currently recvg bene's from any other source. I answrd, "YES" w/the whom & $ amt info. allowing them 2 deduct it from my orig bene pymt. They failed 2 do so. Can they really come after me 4 this when I disclosed the req info & they made the mistake? Do I have any rights or recourse? Where does this leave me when I no longer have the $$?
Between this & all they put me thru in the begining, my doctor said it's caused a major set back in my recovery time. But, of course... UNUM doesn't give a hoot about me. Now do they?

ALawyer

They are a very tough company, but if there was truly a mistake, and you were truly overpaid, you are not entitled to keep the money. If you made a mistake and overpaid the mortgage, how would you feel if the mortgage company could keep the overpayment?

As for your no longer having the money, I am not sure if the policy, or your state law (applicable on non-employer based plans) gives them the right to withhold future paymetns until the amount due is recouped, or not, so they'd have to sue you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">