• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unused Vacation Count as Service Time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fritz1255

What is the name of your state? Delaware

I will be eligible for immediate retirement at my next service anniversary. I am 50 now, but if I were laid off before my next service anniversary, I would have to wait until age 60 to collect retirement benefits. If I were laid off, say a month before the service anniversary, could unused vacation (I have over a month) count as service time to get me "over the top"?What is the name of your state?

mlane58

Fritz1255 said:
What is the name of your state? Delaware

I will be eligible for immediate retirement at my next service anniversary. I am 50 now, but if I were laid off before my next service anniversary, I would have to wait until age 60 to collect retirement benefits. If I were laid off, say a month before the service anniversary, could unused vacation (I have over a month) count as service time to get me "over the top"?What is the name of your state?
That would be entirely up to your employer since there isn't a requirement under the law to provide vacation to employees in the first place.

Fritz1255

I doubt an obscure point like this is covered in the employee handbook, but I'll look. I suppose I could ask HR, but I wouldn't rely on the answer they gave anyways, and don't want to arouse any suspicions about why I am asking the question. Guess I'll just have to be well-behaved until the day arrives!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">