• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unusual question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

No, you said that a court CANNOT ASSIGN CUSTODY of a child over 18. A court CAN, obviously, and WILL, when it's deemed appropriate.
YELL ALL YOU WANT BUT NO, THEY CANNOT ASSIGN ENFORCEABLE CUSTODY OF AN ADULT (COMPETENT) CHILD TO ANYBODY ANYTIME.

You seem to be missing the part about ADULT where they are their own person not subject to anybody's rule. Your child needs no legal custodian (as in incapacitated or under the disability of minority) therefor the court cannot order one. If you want to prove me wrong, go on down to the DMV and have your adult child's driver's license revoked. If you were the legal custodian, you can do that. Go to her doctor and tell them you must approve of all medical procedures. If you were their legal custodian, you could do that. Call the police and report your runaway charge. If you were there legal custodian, doing that would stir some action, other than chuckles.

as to not having said what tinkerbell said; here is it:

. Now, of course a judge can predicate child support payments on the disclosure but that is not really controlling the child but the parent.
(that means if the kid does not comply with the order the financial requirements of the order could be stopped)

and here:

Once a child hits 18 the support order is only good as long as the child willingly lives with whatever parent it was based they live with.
(that means the child can refuse to comply with the order)

and here:

The court can deem there will be no child support if the child does not live with one parent or the other or anything else but the court cannot make a custodial decision on an adult child. At best they can enter an order based on the child's residence, which is 100% up to the child once they reach 18.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
YELL ALL YOU WANT BUT NO, THEY CANNOT ASSIGN ENFORCEABLE CUSTODY OF AN ADULT (COMPETENT) CHILD TO ANYBODY ANYTIME.

You seem to be missing the part about ADULT where they are their own person not subject to anybody's rule. Your child needs no legal custodian (as in incapacitated or under the disability of minority) therefor the court cannot order one. If you want to prove me wrong, go on down to the DMV and have your adult child's driver's license revoked. If you were the legal custodian, you can do that. Go to her doctor and tell them you must approve of all medical procedures. If you were their legal custodian, you could do that. Call the police and report your runaway charge. If you were there legal custodian, doing that would stir some action, other than chuckles.

as to not having said what tinkerbell said; here is it:

(that means if the kid does not comply with the order the financial requirements of the order could be stopped)

and here:

(that means the child can refuse to comply with the order)

and here:
Dude - you are the one yelling. Stop it - you're gonna wake up my Mom. And that will annoy the heck out of me!

justalayman

Dude - you are the one yelling. Stop it - you're gonna wake up my Mom. And that will annoy the heck out of me!
Um, the "yelling" started with this from cjane:

you said that a court CANNOT ASSIGN CUSTODY of a child over 18. A court CAN, obviously, and WILL, when it's deemed appropriate.
I just responded in kind.

In the case of CJane, TECHNICALLY, the child who is no an adult, does not HAVE to comply per se, but if this same child wants a FINANCIAL contribution from the NCP, then that child complies with what the court order states.

Back to the OP from this minor hijack - what is the college/ university asking that be produced?
You have to live in the home with the step parent and be able to meet the exemptions tests set by the irs

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">