• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unusual question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Ok my husband started working at a college one of the benefits is that children bio and step can attend for free. When I relocated my oldest son was already in high school so I gave him the choice to relocate with me or to stay and graduate in the area we lived. This was not easy for me at all but at 15 I felt we needed to take his feelings into account. Well he stayed with his dad but was here all of the time. Anyhow my question is he is 18 now and can we have the orders changed that his primary physical is here. He is planning on staying here and attending college but if we can change the order he can attend the college my husband works at for free. I'm just not sure about this and if it is even possible. So staying here will cut out the costs of his dorm but if he could get his tuition covered as well by my husbands benefits that would be super awesome. His dad and I always work well together and have agreed:confused: on many things and filed stipulations pro se many times so I don't see that being a problem at all am just not sure it is possible with him being 18. My husband just started this job in Jan or we would have taken care of this prior to him being 18.

CJane

Even though my daughter is 18 and aged out of visitation, our new order still includes joint legal custody, and states that her primary address is with me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Ok my husband started working at a college one of the benefits is that children bio and step can attend for free. When I relocated my oldest son was already in high school so I gave him the choice to relocate with me or to stay and graduate in the area we lived. This was not easy for me at all but at 15 I felt we needed to take his feelings into account. Well he stayed with his dad but was here all of the time. Anyhow my question is he is 18 now and can we have the orders changed that his primary physical is here. He is planning on staying here and attending college but if we can change the order he can attend the college my husband works at for free. I'm just not sure about this and if it is even possible. So staying here will cut out the costs of his dorm but if he could get his tuition covered as well by my husbands benefits that would be super awesome. His dad and I always work well together and have agreed:confused: on many things and filed stipulations pro se many times so I don't see that being a problem at all am just not sure it is possible with him being 18. My husband just started this job in Jan or we would have taken care of this prior to him being 18.
The court doesn't have jurisdiction to make custodial decisions on people age 18 and over so the court may not do this. Talk to a local attorney.

I'mTheFather

Does the college really ask 18 year olds for custody papers? That doesn't make sense to me. I can't even imagine the policy worded to say "children in your custody" since 18 year olds don't normally fall under custody orders in Indiana.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Maybe Dad should speak with someone in his benefits office - it likely doesn't matter like you think it does.

We have talked to them and they said that is part of what they ask for for the financial aid through my husbands job (the step dad) guess I will have to talk to an attorney and look into this further it would be nice if he could utilize this benefit and get his degree with little to no debt

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It matters for FAFSA. Not so much for the benefit Dad is entitled to. Has DAD spoken w/his benefit's office? (That was unclear. Your husband is irrelewvant except whewn it comes to FAFSA.)

ETA: This all, of course, assumes your son would be accepted to the particular school anyway.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Your husband is irrelewvant except whewn it comes to FAFSA.)
Not true actually. They look at the custodial parent and THEIR spouse for income. THIS is why I chose never to remarry.
https://studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa/filling-out/parent-info#divorced-separated-living-apart

single317dad

The two local private universities I'm familiar with both offer tuition remission for employee families. The language is as quoted:

Eligibility is meant to extend to natural children, legally adopted children and step children (married or unmarried). Dependent children shall be those defined by the dependent support test rules of the Internal Revenue Code of the United States of America. Eligibility does not extend to foreign exchange students, foster children or married children’s spouses or children.
At $44k/yr tuition alone for Depauw, that's a significant benefit.

The two local private universities I'm familiar with both offer tuition remission for employee families. The language is as quoted:

At $44k/yr tuition alone for Depauw, that's a significant benefit.
Yep thats it and almost how it's worded almost to the T Fasfa has nothing to do with this this is an employee benefit and he don't qualify for any help other than loans thus is why he is going to stay here to save money and hopefully by doing so he will be able to use my husbands education benefits

Silverplum

From which state did you relocate? And is that the state collecting child support from you for the oldest son living with Dad for the last 3 years?

Are your questions geared toward getting child support from Dad for this son in Indiana till age 21?

CJane

The court doesn't have jurisdiction to make custodial decisions on people age 18 and over so the court may not do this. Talk to a local attorney.
The way this was explained to me is that the court DOES have jurisdiction to make custodial decisions on people 18 and over, as long as child support is still in play. There still has to be a CP and an NCP. So, Wild is still considered to be under the joint legal custody of her father and I, with her address for mailing and school purposes is my house.

When we needed to provide proof of Washington residency for the college she'll be attending in the fall, we needed both the custody order AND a copy of SoldierBoy's orders, AND a copy of her military ID, so that they could see that 1) she lives at a WA address, 2) her stepfather has orders to be at JBLM and 3) she's a dependent of her stepfather.

Without all of the above, we'd be paying out of state tuition.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The way this was explained to me is that the court DOES have jurisdiction to make custodial decisions on people 18 and over, as long as child support is still in play. There still has to be a CP and an NCP. So, Wild is still considered to be under the joint legal custody of her father and I, with her address for mailing and school purposes is my house.

When we needed to provide proof of Washington residency for the college she'll be attending in the fall, we needed both the custody order AND a copy of SoldierBoy's orders, AND a copy of her military ID, so that they could see that 1) she lives at a WA address, 2) her stepfather has orders to be at JBLM and 3) she's a dependent of her stepfather.

Without all of the above, we'd be paying out of state tuition.
In Ohio they will not make any orders for custody after the age of 18. So that is why I suggested OP get an attorney in Indiana.

We never had a support order we agreed for him to stay with dad when I moved an hour away and we split the costs like I said dad and I have a good working relationship. I still live in the same state so out of state is not an issue. It's all about using my husbands(the step fathers) education benefits through his work and about nothing else.

justalayman

CJane;3322247]The way this was explained to me is that the court DOES have jurisdiction to make custodial decisions on people 18 and over, as long as child support is still in play.
the courts cannot require an adult child to live with any particular parent. The court can deem there will be no child support if the child does not live with one parent or the other or anything else but the court cannot make a custodial decision on an adult child. At best they can enter an order based on the child's residence, which is 100% up to the child once they reach 18.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">