• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unusual situation re: trained for job but not paid right rate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Warped

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My immediate supervisor resigned a few months ago. Before his final day, I was called to corporate HQ by his supervisor and told that he would like for me to become a "buyer". In further conversation, I asked if this constituted a promotion and whether a raise would come with it. I was told that my designation would change and that yes, a raise would likely come with it. When I asked when this would occur, I was told to "concentrate on learning the position for now and leave the rest up to him", that "he would take care of me". At the two month mark, I emailed this person, now my direct supervisor, and asked when the promotion and raise would occur. He stated basically the same thing that he told me in the initial meeting about the matter and that the company was re-naming positions and the position that I am to be moved to was one of those being re-named.

For the record, this is a government contractor position.

My dilemma is that I don't believe this person. I don't know why he's stalling but it's very evident to me that he is indeed stalling. My questions, based on what little I know of Virginia Labor Laws are...

1: Since they trained me to fill this specific position is that tantamount, in the eyes of the law, to their agreement that I will be promoted to that position?

2: How long, by law, do they have to give me the pay and title for the position?

3: If they are charging the government the labor rate for the position I'm filling while still paying me the rate for my former position, are they in violation of the law?

I will be posting about other issues with this same supervisor that are not related to this particular issue. I would sincerely appreciate any help you can offer. :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1: Since they trained me to fill this specific position is that tantamount, in the eyes of the law, to their agreement that I will be promoted to that position?

No. The law doesn't give two hoots if you were trained for the position or not. Unless you have a legally binding contract that guarantees you the position, the law doesn't care if you are ever promoted to the position.

2: How long, by law, do they have to give me the pay and title for the position?

Under the law, they don't have to give you the pay and title for the position in the first place.

3: If they are charging the government the labor rate for the position I'm filling while still paying me the rate for my former position, are they in violation of the law?

They are not in violation of the law. Depending on the contract, they might be in violation of that, but since we haven't read the contract, we can't say for certain.

Warped

No. The law doesn't give two hoots if you were trained for the position or not. Unless you have a legally binding contract that guarantees you the position, the law doesn't care if you are ever promoted to the position.

Under the law, they don't have to give you the pay and title for the position in the first place.

They are not in violation of the law. Depending on the contract, they might be in violation of that, but since we haven't read the contract, we can't say for certain.
Thanks for the response cbg. I was hoping for better news though...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">