• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unwed parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Vicki Duck

Child born in Missouri
Paternity established in Missouri
Father's name not on birth certificate
Father does not pay child support
Unwed mother, father and child moved to Mississippi in May 2001 and purchased a home together.
Question: What things would give a father more legal rights to the child in Mississippi? What does the mother need to avoid to keep the father from getting rights to the child? I understand Mississippi is NOT a common law marriage.


Joan Gregg

If the unwed mother, father, and child purchased a home together, why would she want to deny unwed father his "rights"?


Senior Member
once paternity has been established, the father and mother have equal rights to the child. until a custody order is established.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential