• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwed teenage mother with $10,000.00 medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My daughter went to live with her father. He let her drop out of school and move in with a friend. She became pregnant, at 17. She turned 18 before she had the baby. Her doctor never told her that she was no longer covered on the CHIP program. He never charged her for any of her visits. So, being uninformed and all she never knew she wasn't covered. The hospital never told her her options for paying the hospital bill when she had the baby. Now she is told it's too late for any agency to cover the bill.

She had droped all contact with me, and her dad would not tell me where she was. Recently she came to my house we talked. I am trying to get her back on track. She has matured very much and is a very good mother. I am trying to see if there is anything we can do to wipe this debt out for her. I certainly can't pay this. I own the rental property where she is living and have been helping her get furniture, food, clothes etc.

Someone told me about a Hill Burton Act. However, I can't seem to find any in depth information about this act. Is is possible for her to file bankruptcy? What are our options?


Senior Member
Contact your states Social Services Dept. about going after the baby's father for medical expenses and, child support. Socail Services would also be a good place to inquire about any other programs that may hep the situation.
In a worse case, the debt could bewped out in bk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential