• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

upc code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigdoug48

michigan

i have a unique bar code that i own a license too that i have been approached by different companys to sell to them what is it worth

Just Blue

michigan

i have a unique bar code that i own a license too that i have been approached by different companys to sell to them what is it worth
How could we know what it is worth? (sorry ...don't mean for that to "sound" as rude as it does...)

Just Blue

Yours is not a legal question. Perhaps another volunteer will know where to direct you ...but this site is for legal questions only.

justalayman

I'd buy that for a dollar...

So there ya go bigdoug48. Your barcode is worth $1 unless you can find somebody willing to pay more. Then the amount they are willing to pay for its establishes the new current value.

I am kind of curious just what sort of barcode you have that you can sell to another party, especially one that somehow encodes the term “success” or any other term.

Last edited:

quincy

i own the upc code license for success plus a very unique product name and code
Companies generally need their own UPC code if they are selling their products through major retailers. Therefore your resell market is limited (probably to small businesses) and this in turn limits the value and price you can reasonably expect to get.

PayrollHRGuy

There are lots of companies that sell one off upc codes with the selling company's prefix. The going rate seems to be about $25 per code.

Are you wanting to sell the prefix or the one offs?

quincy

There are lots of companies that sell one off upc codes with the selling company's prefix. The going rate seems to be about $25 per code.
The under $100 price perhaps could be attractive to a small business but it is not that much less than a business would pay for their own (plus renewal fees).

For UPC Barcodes: http://www.gs1us.org

PayrollHRGuy

Agreed. I think the OP thinks he has something special (and he might) I just don't see it.

Any company of any size is going to get its own prefix.

justalayman

The rub as I see it is: upc uses only numeric characters so I don’t know how he can have ownership of a gs1 registration that would allow him to be able to create the words he speaks of. If it is something other than a upc, I don’t know what other barcodes have true registration such that one effectively owns the word in barcode form.

While I don’t know that much about barcodes, from what I have read, op can’t have a upc barcode that results in the words stated.

quincy

The rub as I see it is: upc uses only numeric characters so I don’t know how he can have ownership of a gs1 registration that would allow him to be able to create the words he speaks of. If it is something other than a upc, I don’t know what other barcodes have true registration such that one effectively owns the word in barcode form.

While I don’t know that much about barcodes, from what I have read, op can’t have a upc barcode that results in the words stated.
I am wondering if he is confusing bar codes with domain names ... ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">