• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

upcoming fight with landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wesley

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I know whats about to transpire and I am trying to get ready for the fight. This is the upcoming conflict: When I moved into my apartment the rug was dirty and stained beyond belief. I checked a list of things that told of the condition---like if a wall was scraped I would check that on the list. Well, I have my list and I signed it but the management didn't sign the list. So it is my belief that the landlord is going to try to get me to pay for a new rug. I know its coming because the owner(s) are a large corporation and live in a far away city and everything is done on a legal basis with no personal contact or anything. And I am sure they have lawyers in their employment . I should have taken pictures of the rug with dates on photos but I didn't. But I do know one thing: I am not going to pay for a new rug or have the condition of the rug deducted from my security deposit! Any help will do with this problem. I will fight it in court if I have to.

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I know whats about to transpire and I am trying to get ready for the fight. This is the upcoming conflict: When I moved into my apartment the rug was dirty and stained beyond belief. I checked a list of things that told of the condition---like if a wall was scraped I would check that on the list. Well, I have my list and I signed it but the management didn't sign the list. So it is my belief that the landlord is going to try to get me to pay for a new rug. I know its coming because the owner(s) are a large corporation and live in a far away city and everything is done on a legal basis with no personal contact or anything. And I am sure they have lawyers in their employment . I should have taken pictures of the rug with dates on photos but I didn't. But I do know one thing: I am not going to pay for a new rug or have the condition of the rug deducted from my security deposit! Any help will do with this problem. I will fight it in court if I have to.
What are you going to fight with? In a court of law you will need to prove the rug was in that condition when you moved in. All you have is a checklist provided by the landlord with items YOU checked off and YOU signed. Seems like biased evidence to me. However, good luck with your efforts!

Wesley

What are you going to fight with? In a court of law you will need to prove the rug was in that condition when you moved in. All you have is a checklist provided by the landlord with items YOU checked off and YOU signed. Seems like biased evidence to me. However, good luck with your efforts!
But in the courst of law they are going to have to prove it wasn't in that condition.

Wesley

Actually, I don't have a check list and thought that I did. But they have a copy of a checklist signed by me, right. If not then its their word against mine and my word is just as good in court as theirs.

Wesley

If the landlord would try to make me pay is their a way that I could sue him? I would need a grounds to sue though.

Alaska landlord

Actually, I don't have a check list and thought that I did. But they have a copy of a checklist signed by me, right. If not then its their word against mine and my word is just as good in court as theirs.

Most of us take pictures or movies of our units. I let my tenants know, but not all of LLs do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">