• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Upcoming hearing for back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milesok

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I have a daughter who now is 23 years old. Her father was not much apart of her life (only when he choose) We were never married ,i had sole custody of her. He was ordered to pay a small amount of child support monthly. At one time i was receiving funding from the state in order to further my education. He owes back payments to the state and also to myself.
I thought he had paid his back support to me in full it, has been years since i received anything. Then the other day i received a letter stating there is an up coming hearing that he must show why he is not in contempt of court. the amount stated he owes me is alittle over 4,000 a greater amount to the state.
In the letter for hearing of contempt states:
I must appear, the state may make orders that affect your orders in this case.
I just started a new job was laid off , from my other because of a down size because of the economy and iam unable to have any time off. Also her father has been unemployed for years what good would it even do to attend?
He is now in the process filing for disabilty and has a attorney working with him on this
Can i be held in contempt of court if i choose not to appear?
Can the judge waive the back support order to me if i do not appear?
Laws change, so just curious what are the laws on such hearings? thanks

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I have a daughter who now is 23 years old. Her father was not much apart of her life (only when he choose) We were never married ,i had sole custody of her. He was ordered to pay a small amount of child support monthly. At one time i was receiving funding from the state in order to further my education. He owes back payments to the state and also to myself.
I thought he had paid his back support to me in full it, has been years since i received anything. Then the other day i received a letter stating there is an up coming hearing that he must show why he is not in contempt of court. the amount stated he owes me is alittle over 4,000 a greater amount to the state.
In the letter for hearing of contempt states:
I must appear, the state may make orders that affect your orders in this case.
I just started a new job was laid off , from my other because of a down size because of the economy and iam unable to have any time off. Also her father has been unemployed for years what good would it even do to attend?
He is now in the process filing for disabilty and has a attorney working with him on this
Can i be held in contempt of court if i choose not to appear?
Can the judge waive the back support order to me if i do not appear?
Laws change, so just curious what are the laws on such hearings? thanks
If the "letter" was just that...a letter...and not a subpoena then no, you do not have to attend. But be advised that there will be no one there to protect your interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">