• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update: Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacobswain

What is the name of your state? Atlanta, Georgia

Some of you may remember when I posted here in early July. I received a speeding citation in Atlanta for going 81 in a 55. I am 19 years old. Under Georgia law, anyone with a four point or more violation (this was a four point violation) will lose their Georgia driving privileges. I have an Illinois driver's license and have never had a ticket of any kind.

Here is my updated situation. I spoke with the Atlanta Solicitor on the phone with my local prosecutors office on July 8th. He agreed to lower my speed to a 14 to 19 mph violation and allow me to plead via a Plea in Absentia. Apparently pleas in absentia are relatively normal in Georgia courts. My court date was August 18th.

Well, I spoke with the Atlanta Solicitor's office about a week before my court date because I never received the Plea. They stated that it had never been sent and that they would need to reset my court date. My court date came and went and was never reset. I had to contact the Atlanta Mayor's office and they spoke with the Deputy Solicitor and finally got the court date reset to September 26th so that the Deputy Solicitor would have more time to write the Plea in Absentia.

Now, my question is this: Last week I called and the Deputy Solicitor was none too thrilled with me since I went around their office and used the Mayor's office to get help. I had to do this though because the Solicitors office never answered the phone and refused to return phone calls by myself and our local prosecutors office. I called between 25 and 50 times each day for over a week trying to reach someone before I finally got someone.

If September 26th is approaching and the Plea in Absentia still has not arrived, what would you do? I'm torn between just driving to Atlanta and pleading guilty to the 26 mph violation and just losing my Georgia driving priveleges (as I understand it, I would not lose my Illinois license because of this.) But I'm nervous about appearing in court alone, but I doubt I could get an attorney that fast. And attorney's fees for court in Atlanta seem to be in the $1,000 to $2,000 range.

What do you all recommend I do? I want to have a plan of action in case the Solicitors office does not come through for me.

Thank you for your input.
Jacob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">