• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update offer disables program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
This happens often with various computer programs.
I bought a SONY notebook computer a 5+ years ago (it is out of warranty). The computer came with a DVD-Blu-Rey internal machine with software to play them. Cyberlink PowerDVD version 9.

The program worked fine a few days ago. Then this week I got an offer to upgrade for $35. And now all of a sudden I get an error message saying the program has been compromised and now will not open DVD's or Blu-Rey.

I can understand if something stops working or breaks . But this seems to be a direct attack by the company to disable what I bought and was working just a few days ago. no longer providing support is not an excuse to intentionally disabling.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
This happens often with various computer programs.
I bought a SONY notebook computer a 5+ years ago (it is out of warranty). The computer came with a DVD-Blu-Rey internal machine with software to play them. Cyberlink PowerDVD version 9.

The program worked fine a few days ago. Then this week I got an offer to upgrade for $35. And now all of a sudden I get an error message saying the program has been compromised and now will not open DVD's or Blu-Rey.

I can understand if something stops working or breaks . But this seems to be a direct attack by the company to disable what I bought and was working just a few days ago. no longer providing support is not an excuse to intentionally disabling.
Thanks for sharing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">