• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on neighbor planting vines on our rock wall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MtHoodRising

What is the name of your state? OR

As these issues usually go, sometimes there is a positive response and other times there is not. Unfortunately, this one turned rather stupid a couple nights ago. Anyway, I took pictures of the vines and plantings on our property and delivered a straight forward note to our neighbors on Tuesday asking to have the plantings removed within two weeks. The note was neutral in tone and not at all confrontational or accusatory. I did not hear anything back, but then we awoke on Thursday morning to find our house had been egged (about two dozen eggs thrown at the front of our house). What a total mess. So, I called the police and reported the incident. The police told me that high school kids often egg homes in May and early June every year, so if this is random, it probably won't happen again. I then spoke to a neighbor who saw the neighbor kids, ages 12 - 16, out on the path and street by our house at midnight. My wife then confronted one of the kids and he confessed. So, we went to the parents and they pretty much acted like it was just a little joke and no bid deal. This was not good enough for us. We asked for signed notes from each kid involved apologizing for the attack and promising to never to this again. We'll see if this happens. I did provide all of this information to the police and they are going to speak to the parents this evening.

Anyway, I find it too coincidental that our house was egged just two days after we asked the neighbor to remove the vines and other plantings from our property. We are glad that we caught the bandits and now the police are involved, but we are bummed that the vandalism had to occur. We will now have to be extremely vigilant in watching out for our property and that of our neighbors. We don't really care if we don't relate with the neighbors in question, but just don't allow their kids to vandalize our property. We have kept our heads and will continue to do so to set a good example for our 8 year old daughter and for our caring neighbors.

Have a nice holiday weekend!What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Your post says that someone saw the "neighbor kids". Does that mean the neighbor with the problem with your wall? It is confusing to understand. Yes, this does start to happen around this time of year.

Next time, instead of starting a new thread, just add a post to your current thread. Thanks.

MtHoodRising

Sorry for the confusion

The kids that egged our house are the children of the neighbors of whom we asked to remove plantings that they recently installed on our property. Another caring neighbor witnessed the kids in the area of our street and house at the time of the incident. Is the egging directly tied to the letter we delivered to the parents? Maybe not, but the parents probably venting their anger at us for asking to have the plantings removed from our property and wall may have had something to do with the timing of the vandalism.

MauriS69

Is the egging directly tied to the letter we delivered to the parents? Maybe not, but the parents probably venting their anger at us for asking to have the plantings removed from our property and wall may have had something to do with the timing of the vandalism.
You already know the egging IS retaliation.

This is not going to be the end of it. Just imagine how far the neighbors will go if they are using their KIDS to do their dirty work. Be ready for a long messy situation.

Sorry is not legal advice, but I would install a surveillance camera TODAY if I were you. Good luck

nanomug

If they are doing this after a letter, be prepared for worse. People who will have their kids do this will do much worse. I'd suggest pressing charges. They'll hate you. Oh, wait, they hate you now. Install a few security cameras (easy to hook up to a computer to record to a hard drive) to keep an eye on your property and for evidence.

Just Blue

The kids that egged our house are the children of the neighbors of whom we asked to remove plantings that they recently installed on our property. Another caring neighbor witnessed the kids in the area of our street and house at the time of the incident. Is the egging directly tied to the letter we delivered to the parents? Maybe not, but the parents probably venting their anger at us for asking to have the plantings removed from our property and wall may have had something to do with the timing of the vandalism.
Dried egg ruins the paint of your home...was there any damage? If so, make sure you report to the insurance company who is responsible.

MtHoodRising

No permanent damage...

I was successful at cleaning all of the eggs off of the house and there doesn't appear to be any permanent damage. We did stop short of pressing charges. After speaking with the parents, I followed up with our local sheriff's deputy (he lives about a half mile away). All of the kids involved have their names on the police report, and the deputy stopped over at their house and had a discussion with the parents and kids. Let's just say that the deputy knew the names of the kids because they have been involved in other issues that the law was brought in on. We also discussed the issue with several neighbors who will all be watching our house and everyone else's. We are not going to cut these kids any slack whatsoever. If there are anymore issues in the neighborhood, there will be no holding back. Unfortunately, the kids never really apologized and we never received the letters we requested. So, we'll see how this goes. It is interesting that this is a neighborhood of million dollar homes and you still have to put up with this crud. At least we have the local sheriff's deputy that is now involved and welcomes us to contact him if we have any issues.

Now, as for the vines on the rock wall, they have been removed. We almost couldn't believe it, but it is true. I went back in the area one evening and sprayed a good deal of Roundup to ensure that there are no roots or anything left behind that will start growing again.

LindaP777

Roundup to ensure that there are no roots or anything left behind that will start growing again.
I think Roundup only works when it soaks in through a leaf of a plant. Spraying it on the dirt doesn't work. Preen is good to prevent anything from coming up from seed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">