• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on Slandering ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KRISTALYNN

In reference to my earlier posting "Slandered by ex-girlfriend", I decided to write her a letter explaining that the thing she has said and continues to say to damage my reputation need to stop or I would have to take her to court. I relayed that I understood that she was hurt, but that gave her no right to hurt me. I ended the letter by saying that the letter was being sent to inform her of my intentions should she not stop and try to make ammends.

A few days later, I received a letter from an attorney 'retained by her' demanding the alleged statements, to whom they were made, when, and where, as well as the dates and addresses of all professional dr visits as proof of my damages I have "endured".

I had hoped that she would have swallowed her pride and called to say she was sorry and that she was just hurt. Then we would have put it in the past without any animosity. The fact that she had an attorney contact me leads me to believe she has no remorse for the pain she has caused and that a court of law is the only way to hold her accountable for her actions.

My question is... Do I need to tell her lawyer the information he is requesting? I feel like that would be showing him my hand or something. Or should I wait for the court date? Is there a law about disclosing this information before the trial? Or would telling him possible be good in a sense, that they would possibly settle out of court. From what I know of this girl, I don't see that happening though. I think the whole lawyer's letter (from her wealthy grand-father's attorney) is meant to scare me off. Another question... I've heard that some states will not allow lawyers in a small claims hearing... is this true in Wisconsin?

Again, thanks for all your help... I need it!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You're doing just fine. No, do not answer the attorney's letter. You don't have to. The only time anyone must answer questions is when a lawsuit is filed, and "discovery" answers must be served.

You placed her on notice, and that's enough. If she slanders or libels you again, it will be time to be proactive about the situation . . . not until.

Call your nearest Small Claims court for specific information about attorneys being allowed in that forum. Most States do not allow it; however, for all I know, yours might be in the minority on that issue.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited July 01, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">