• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update/ seeking additional advice - Cyber Stalking & Harassment Pending Case (Baltimore MD):

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fall_river32

Hello Forum members.

Thank you all again for your help and advice when i first posted about my issue concerning Cyber-stalking & harassment. First, in re-reading some previous responses to my post- In most states Maryland included, Harassment/Cyber-stalking charges can be filed in Municipal court and it is viewed as a criminal offense. It is not really cosidered a civil matter.

I was a bit confused myself? My attorney explained a little bit about it to me. I always thought before now that Internet related issues could not be heard in a municipial court setting but a County court juristiction. However, I was wrong.

My attorney called me two days ago. He stated that the attorney representing my former fiance called to tell him they decided to ask to have the case thrown out of court.

My attorney did not elaborate on possible reasons for the sudden interest in dismissing this whole mess. However, I have no doubt the fact that my former fiance and his lawyer came to the realization that they have no proof/evidence for any claim they made against me. Which this was done in attempt to mitigate what was done to me by the hands of my former fiance.

Therefore, they are withdrawing their counter claim. My attorney said it was my choice how to procede from this point forward. I could prove my claims 10x over the evidence my attorney obtained. However, my attorney pointed out that if we did continue to may get costly and the other side may use tactic such as delaying procedings, asking for additional discovery time etc.

If I continued and my ex fiance was found guilty of Cyber stalking- Harassment- Because he has no former record, my attorney said he would probably get a steep fine and of course he would have an automatic criminal record. It would be up to Maryland Pharmacy Board weather or not they pull his license. He could face months of uncertainty and court hearings just on the Pharmacy License issue alone.

Essentially, depending on what i decide to do from this point forward could have a huge impact on his future financially as well as emotionally. I don't hate him but I guess i don't want to destroy his future. Not that he doesn't deserve it.

My ex has caused me great stress and anxiety with his carrying on and harassment over these months. If I elect to continue proving my case with no counter claim any more I think it is a slam dunk. However, if found guilty I may still have to attend additional court procedings relating to any fines or punnishment imposed on him by the courts. It may not be over for me after all anyway.

If i also withdraw my claims/charges at this point- my attorney said he feels my ex will never bother me again because he knows now i mean business and that I would file new charges against him if he does anything else by way of harassing me. My ex realizes now if a Cyber stalking- harassment claim was ever proven it may take away his Pharmacy licence in Maryland. I do feel he is scared somewhat/

My questions are? Should also now withdraw my complaint? and simply move forward. My attorney was all for going after my ex early on. However now he seems as if he would rather if i too drop the claim and end the case.

My attorney said also if i agree to drop the case now- that he woudl also require my ex to sign a legal document "Forbiding him to have any direct or indirect contact with me in any way shae or form. This includes Internet stalking or communication/.

If i elected to follow thru and he is found guilty/ does that make me a bad person. An bitter - angry vengeful lady that wants to hurt her former ex by making sure the courts render a guilty verdict? I don't think so. However, Yes the ramifications sf a guilty verdict would change his entire life and future forever.

I understand that is his problem and he made his bed, let him ly in that bed. If any of you forum members were in my situation and you were convinced that an ex would never bother you again would you withdraw the complaint. Or would you leave any emotion out of this and let him be found guilty and suffer the consequences? Any and all advice please? Sorry this is so long. Thank you.

quincy

Hello Forum members.

Thank you all again for your help and advice when i first posted about my issue concerning Cyber-stalking & harassment. First, in re-reading some previous responses to my post- In most states Maryland included, Harassment/Cyber-stalking charges can be filed in Municipal court and it is viewed as a criminal offense. It is not really cosidered a civil matter.

I was a bit confused myself? My attorney explained a little bit about it to me. I always thought before now that Internet related issues could not be heard in a municipial court setting but a County court juristiction. However, I was wrong.

My attorney called me two days ago. He stated that the attorney representing my former fiance called to tell him they decided to ask to have the case thrown out of court.

My attorney did not elaborate on possible reasons for the sudden interest in dismissing this whole mess. However, I have no doubt the fact that my former fiance and his lawyer came to the realization that they have no proof/evidence for any claim they made against me. Which this was done in attempt to mitigate what was done to me by the hands of my former fiance.

Therefore, they are withdrawing their counter claim. My attorney said it was my choice how to procede from this point forward. I could prove my claims 10x over the evidence my attorney obtained. However, my attorney pointed out that if we did continue to may get costly and the other side may use tactic such as delaying procedings, asking for additional discovery time etc.

If I continued and my ex fiance was found guilty of Cyber stalking- Harassment- Because he has no former record, my attorney said he would probably get a steep fine and of course he would have an automatic criminal record. It would be up to Maryland Pharmacy Board weather or not they pull his license. He could face months of uncertainty and court hearings just on the Pharmacy License issue alone.

Essentially, depending on what i decide to do from this point forward could have a huge impact on his future financially as well as emotionally. I don't hate him but I guess i don't want to destroy his future. Not that he doesn't deserve it.

My ex has caused me great stress and anxiety with his carrying on and harassment over these months. If I elect to continue proving my case with no counter claim any more I think it is a slam dunk. However, if found guilty I may still have to attend additional court procedings relating to any fines or punnishment imposed on him by the courts. It may not be over for me after all anyway.

If i also withdraw my claims/charges at this point- my attorney said he feels my ex will never bother me again because he knows now i mean business and that I would file new charges against him if he does anything else by way of harassing me. My ex realizes now if a Cyber stalking- harassment claim was ever proven it may take away his Pharmacy licence in Maryland. I do feel he is scared somewhat/

My questions are? Should also now withdraw my complaint? and simply move forward. My attorney was all for going after my ex early on. However now he seems as if he would rather if i too drop the claim and end the case.

My attorney said also if i agree to drop the case now- that he woudl also require my ex to sign a legal document "Forbiding him to have any direct or indirect contact with me in any way shae or form. This includes Internet stalking or communication/.

If i elected to follow thru and he is found guilty/ does that make me a bad person. An bitter - angry vengeful lady that wants to hurt her former ex by making sure the courts render a guilty verdict? I don't think so. However, Yes the ramifications sf a guilty verdict would change his entire life and future forever.

I understand that is his problem and he made his bed, let him ly in that bed. If any of you forum members were in my situation and you were convinced that an ex would never bother you again would you withdraw the complaint. Or would you leave any emotion out of this and let him be found guilty and suffer the consequences? Any and all advice please? Sorry this is so long. Thank you.
Adding this update to your other thread would have been helpful for the background information.

That said, I agree with Payroll Guy. You have an attorney who has access to all of the facts. You should rely on his advice.

Thank you for the update.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Are you sure the behavior will stop? Because I am not.

Yes, maybe he'll stop for the time being, but are you sure that he's stopped for good. You commented in another thread that he's done this sort of thing all his life, without any real negative consequences... what makes you think that this experience will change him for good?

It sounds like your lawyer is asking you to drop this in exchange for an unofficial restraining order. "Unofficial" because it's a contract, not an actual restraining order. What are the consequences for violating the agreement? *Are* there any real consequences for violating the agreement, or is it to be more like a gentleman's handshake?

Would all the history of what you've complained about vanish if you dropped this, and would you have to start over as though none of this past history existed, should he begin anon with his bad behavior towards you? That would be my concern. After all, it's not like he's a changed man - he's only paused at best or redirected his bad behavior.

Your lawyer is only able to offer you legal options. Your lawyer doesn't have to live with the consequences.

I neither know nor care what the consequences, professionally, would be for your ex-boyfriend, should you go forward legally - and neither should you. You want the behavior to stop. And negative consequences for him if it does not stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">