• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Updated Question more info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NicholasV

New York State
my 79yr old mom has now been in and out of hospitals and in two rehabs now for almost 4 months. Currently residing in a nursing home in ,ny

we think she might be eligible for medicaid and waiting yes she has a coop apartment that she plans to return home to and wishes to die in when time comes, her only bank account consists of $3000 inheritance for her grandchildren, her $990 social security check and her $347 disability payment., life insurance and the co-op is in will to her children,

if i understand how medicaid works they seize her bank account, they will take half her money (50%) now if the co-op is considered an asset she is not eligible for medicaid and if its real property she isnt eligible because of income so we have no idea what we can do to get her into a nursing home for at least a year to get physical therapy as living home is too dangerous for her right now and we cant afford the $736 a day they are billing her and it will only be a short amount of time before a lien goes on co-op and money is drained from it and mom cant pay for anything. The co-op will have to be sold to pay medicaid back and we will lose our mothers home, my mother is at what is called poverty level in ny taking half her money will force us to sell the co-op before her death. We looked into a medicaid trust but was told it would cost in excess of $10k to set it up I told my brother to get a second opinion. We have nothing except what my mother put in her will for after she passes which is the co-op left to us and her bank account.

if i read it right none of that matters nys will take there money upon death in full regardless of will but theres that nasty 10month or 5 yr look back penalty we still have to pay which we cant afford also it would might create a hardship as my mother leaving my the coop in her will which has alot of my stuff still in it when i moved out and left for mom to use and for storage and isnt moms, i was relying on selling the coop after she passes and using the inheritance to buy my own house and start a family.]

all info please and refrain from the read this and read that, im here for nys legal advice

Just Blue

New York State
my 79yr old mom has now been in and out of hospitals and in two rehabs now for almost 4 months. Currently residing in a nursing home in ,ny

we think she might be eligible for medicaid and waiting yes she has a coop apartment that she plans to return home to and wishes to die in when time comes, her only bank account consists of $3000 inheritance for her grandchildren, her $990 social security check and her $347 disability payment., life insurance and the co-op is in will to her children,

if i understand how medicaid works they seize her bank account, they will take half her money (50%) now if the co-op is considered an asset she is not eligible for medicaid and if its real property she isnt eligible because of income so we have no idea what we can do to get her into a nursing home for at least a year to get physical therapy as living home is too dangerous for her right now and we cant afford the $736 a day they are billing her and it will only be a short amount of time before a lien goes on co-op and money is drained from it and mom cant pay for anything. The co-op will have to be sold to pay medicaid back and we will lose our mothers home, my mother is at what is called poverty level in ny taking half her money will force us to sell the co-op before her death. We looked into a medicaid trust but was told it would cost in excess of $10k to set it up I told my brother to get a second opinion. We have nothing except what my mother put in her will for after she passes which is the co-op left to us and her bank account.

if i read it right none of that matters nys will take there money upon death in full regardless of will but theres that nasty 10month or 5 yr look back penalty we still have to pay which we cant afford also it would might create a hardship as my mother leaving my the coop in her will which has alot of my stuff still in it when i moved out and left for mom to use and for storage and isnt moms, i was relying on selling the coop after she passes and using the inheritance to buy my own house and start a family.]

all info please and refrain from the read this and read that, im here for nys legal advice
This is a site that can provide general guidance / direction. If you want New York State legal advice, open the yellow pages, find an Estate Attorney and set up a consult with said attorney. You can also try the State Bar Association for a referral. https://nysba.org/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">