• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I am in the process of buying a property. The seller was left the property by his/her parents (intestate). During the pre-closing process the seller found out that he/she may owe money at settlement and then decided to sign the property over to a relative who would be able to stop the property from going up for Sheriff sale. We had already signed an agreement of sale before the property was signed over. Does he/she have the right to do this? :confused:What is the name of your state?


Senior Member
A contract to sell real esate creates a type of "interest" in the real estate. I believe that, unless you SIGNED a "Cancellation and Mutual Release Agreement" the contract can still be enforced upon the successor-in-interest.. Talk to an attorney about suing for specific performance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential