• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Upstairs Toilet Leaking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I currently live in Lawrence Kansas in a apartment building. I'm on the 1st floor and the apartment above mine has all kinds of problems. Every time they flush their toilet or use the shower, the water runs through my ceiling and down inside the wall and out the bottom, flooding my floor. I am disgusted by mopping up urine from these people and this has been going on since April 13th. The manager has not even come and looked at the problem. I have rented another place outside of town and will be moving in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if the managers can make me complete my lease that expires on 8-1-01? when the central air comes on now, it makes a pop inside the wall and then comes on and every other time, it blows the fuse and I have to manually turn on the fuse again. I've had no luck getting repairs made since I've lived here in the past year and just wondering if I have any chance of getting my security deposit back and out of this lease? I'vce taken pictures of the water dripping from the ceiling and from the bottom of the wall but what else can I do? He doesn't know I'm moving yet and wanted to get all my options first so I can do this all legally.




It looks this way to me:

You have already found another place to live, and in fact you are planning to move in a couple of weeks, although you haven't given notice to your present landlord. Coincidentally, you have these complaints about your present residence, which you say haven't been attended to.

I suggest that you immediatly give notice to your present landlord, and try to discuss with him some reasonable disposition of all of the problems. On one hand, you are planning to abandon your leased property without notice, on the other hand you have complaints for which the landlord hasn't yet had even 30 days to deal with. You have already lived there for a year, this is May, and you are unwilling to finish out your lease until the end of July.

I seriously suggest that you discuss the matter immediatly with your landlord, and see if you cannot arrive at some agreement about winding up your affairs.



I dont know about what you can do legally, but here in COlorado we have what is called Code Enforcement. They will come out and look at the problems and will then give the landlord so many days to fix the problem. I believe they are fined if they dont. We has problems like that in the apartment we rented. Code Enforcement did help. It was a wonderful day when we moved out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential