• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent DUI question!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lithom

I am a first offender charged with DUI. They are going to give me reckless, but that means a 60 day license suspension. Can I get restricted at all? I will lose my job with no license. I cannot accept impaired on my record. Does it depend on the judge? Can michigan law allow restricted license's for 1st offenders with a clean record?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, let me begin by saying this: you are trying to get out of not a speeding ticket, but a DUI. This is a serious crime! DUIs have led to many deaths -- you're lucky you didn't kill anyone.

Now, first offenders usually get lesser sentences or punishments because they don't have a history of criminal acts or infractions. But because this is a DUI, I am not sure.

Your best bet is to seek counsel (a criminal attorney) to help you defend this properly -- help you get a restricted not suspended license.

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

hope this helps

L

lithom

[

Thanks for the advice. However, what does the law say? If I get an attorney, will they be ABLE, by law to reduce it? The asst. prosecutor let on like there are no bending the rules to a suspended license for reckless drivers. Can I bargain for a restricted license? Is he just playing hard ball? I would be willing to do community service, fines, fees etc... Even a longer resticted sentence. Is that possible?

QUOTE]Originally posted by lawrat:
I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, let me begin by saying this: you are trying to get out of not a speeding ticket, but a DUI. This is a serious crime! DUIs have led to many deaths -- you're lucky you didn't kill anyone.

Now, first offenders usually get lesser sentences or punishments because they don't have a history of criminal acts or infractions. But because this is a DUI, I am not sure.

Your best bet is to seek counsel (a criminal attorney) to help you defend this properly -- help you get a restricted not suspended license.

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

hope this helps
[/QUOTE]

T

Tracey

Open the yellow pages and look at the big ads from defense attorneys with "DUI" in big letters. Now see if those ads include words like "deferred prosecution" or "treatment options." These would indicate that your state has a program to treat DUI offenders rather than charge them. In Washington, representation for a deferred prosecution runs about $1,000. The state charges $75/month for the interlock, + supervision fees.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

J

jimlawnc

If they are going to reduce your DUI to a reckless driving take it and run, because that would mean you would not have a DUI on your record

You may be able to get a limited driving privilege for the 60 days, you would have to ask an attorney about this or either look it up in the Michigan General Statutes and if there was such a thing the form would be in the Clerk of Court's office (that's what they call it in my state)

good luck diana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">