• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent Help Needed!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dudemom

What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA

My mother is 69, disabled and lives in California. A year and a half ago she took in a roommate with a young child on a temporary month to month basis in order to help her with rent. The agreement was for a bedroom and use of the kitchen.

Needless to say, this woman has completely taken over the apartment, has boxes stacked in the living room, hallway, backyard, kitchen and has filled the carport. She threatened to "kick my mom's ass" when my mother gave her 30 days notice. My mother has serious health issues and the roommate leaves her 4 year old sleeping in the mornings with a note to my mom to watch her (with no notice).

Today, my mom called crying because she came home and the place was completely trashed (kitchen torn apart, she fell over some boxes too). My mom feels the roommate is trying to make her leave so she can have the place to herself. My mom is a wreck and feels responsible for the child because the my abuses her. The police won't help and social services doesn't have time to protect the child. PLEASE HELP!!

Do I call Adult Services in California (I'm in Washington) and report living conditions that constitute a serious health and safety hazard?

ENASNI

dudemom said:
What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA

My mother is 69, disabled and lives in California. A year and a half ago she took in a roommate with a young child on a temporary month to month basis in order to help her with rent. The agreement was for a bedroom and use of the kitchen.

Needless to say, this woman has completely taken over the apartment, has boxes stacked in the living room, hallway, backyard, kitchen and has filled the carport. She threatened to "kick my mom's ass" when my mother gave her 30 days notice. My mother has serious health issues and the roommate leaves her 4 year old sleeping in the mornings with a note to my mom to watch her (with no notice).

Today, my mom called crying because she came home and the place was completely trashed (kitchen torn apart, she fell over some boxes too). My mom feels the roommate is trying to make her leave so she can have the place to herself. My mom is a wreck and feels responsible for the child because the my abuses her. The police won't help and social services doesn't have time to protect the child. PLEASE HELP!!

Do I call Adult Services in California (I'm in Washington) and report living conditions that constitute a serious health and safety hazard?
Yes call Adult services
Questions.. Is this her house? An Apartment a Lease.. This is not to be tolerated.
Get someone over there STAT> what are you waiting for? What is she waiting for? Is there more to this story...

dudemom

Answer to questions

My mom rents - the landlord is 90 and told my mom he would evict her - however we found out today he has not done anything. I didn't find out until today how bad the situation is. My sister is a U.S. Attorney - she told my mom there is nothing that can be done and that it is her problem. Nice. I'm contacting Adult Protective Services in LA County to see if they will help.

ENASNI

do what you can

dudemom said:
My mom rents - the landlord is 90 and told my mom he would evict her - however we found out today he has not done anything. I didn't find out until today how bad the situation is. My sister is a U.S. Attorney - she told my mom there is nothing that can be done and that it is her problem. Nice. I'm contacting Adult Protective Services in LA County to see if they will help.
I have no idea what to do about this situation do what you can. If others have the authority to they will respond to this post. Good luck.

ENASNI

longneck said:
hey E- what about this: http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/terminations.htm

looks like mom can issue a three day quit notice for: "Materially damaged the rental property" and "Substantially interfered with other tenants".

yes/no?
SHEESH.. Good find.. looks good to me. the lawyers are looking to make me look bad not help the posters tonight.. but maybe.. the Cali Attorney on my back might want to help someone like this poster rather than get on my case...

Anyway. Not sure it hits all the right blanks. but good call kid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">