• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Us bank reversed atm deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonone

Hello new member here in Ohio. I browsed through this forum before joining and seems very helpful and friendly so I thought my question might be able to be answered by a more well rounded person in this matter. I usually deposit small amounts in a local Us Bank ATM machine with the amounts no larger than $100 and have never had a problem until now. I made a deposit of $70 in April and around 2 weeks later I see Reversed ATM Deposit which caused my account to go negative. I called up the 24 hour line and the customer service rep told me that us bank records showed I had only deposited $30 instead of $70 and I couldn't believe it because not only did I have a witness who watched me count the money in the car but also I counted multiple times it was $70 and have made ATM deposits at least fifty or so odd times with no problem. They now sent a letter from the ATM dispute department saying quote "Our research has determined no errors occurred with your transaction; therefore, we have denied your claim. If your account has been provided provisional credit, U.S. Bank will reverse your provisional credit on 05/13/2013."

I was credited back $30 after 10 days because they said the case was still open and could take up to 45 days and now they say that that will be pulled back out of my account due to an error they won't admit. I wonder if someone in the ATM department could have pocketed my cash and claim I only put in $30 this is horrible. Would anyone know if I could seek legal action over this matter as it is just almost unbelievable that my money basically just got stolen by US Bank and i'm being told tough luck. :(

Thank you!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is a civil matter and would be governed by your deposit agreement with US Bank.

I would suggest that you either don't deposit cash in an ATM machine, or if you must deposit cash, utilize an ATM machine that takes pictures of everything you deposit. Google it a bit, some of the big banks offer that.

crimsonone

This is a civil matter and would be governed by your deposit agreement with US Bank.

I would suggest that you either don't deposit cash in an ATM machine, or if you must deposit cash, utilize an ATM machine that takes pictures of everything you deposit. Google it a bit, some of the big banks offer that.
Ok thanks for your answer. I have a photo copy sent earlier in the dispute with Us Bank of someone writing on the ATM cash pull ticket that I had put 3 $20 bills and 1 $10 bill with their initials so even with that I guess nothing can be done?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok thanks for your answer. I have a photo copy sent earlier in the dispute with Us Bank of someone writing on the ATM cash pull ticket that I had put 3 $20 bills and 1 $10 bill with their initials so even with that I guess nothing can be done?
You TOLD the machine that you were putting in those bills. What I am speaking of is the ATM machines that actually scan every item as it goes in to the machine.

crimsonone

You TOLD the machine that you were putting in those bills. What I am speaking of is the ATM machines that actually scan every item as it goes in to the machine.
Yeah don't think Us Bank offers those type of Atm machines or at least I haven't seen them. They will be sending the documents of the investigation in a week or two so i'll guess I will just wait to see those before I decide what to do, thanks again!

justalayman

many banks video record the teller opening and counting the money in the deposit envelopes. Some banks require 2 people to be present when such deposits are counted. You might check with your bank if either of these measures are taken.

beyond that, a teller stealing in this manner is not only the end of their career in banking, it could result in going to jail or prison. While there are a lot of stupid people out there, to risk the end of their banking career and possibly jail or prison for $30 would be incredibly stupid. If your bank hires people that stupid, I would go to another bank anyway.

crimsonone

many banks video record the teller opening and counting the money in the deposit envelopes. Some banks require 2 people to be present when such deposits are counted. You might check with your bank if either of these measures are taken.

beyond that, a teller stealing in this manner is not only the end of their career in banking, it could result in going to jail or prison. While there are a lot of stupid people out there, to risk the end of their banking career and possibly jail or prison for $30 would be incredibly stupid. If your bank hires people that stupid, I would go to another bank anyway.
It was an Atm machine in a grocery parking lot that doesn't have a bank inside so doubt a teller is counting anything that comes out of it. I'm almost positive it goes to an atm department here in downtown Cincinnati to the operations center.

justalayman

. I'm almost positive it goes to an atm department here in downtown Cincinnati to the operations center.
Ok, so when they get the deposits there they open up the envelopes and count the money. If it is a dedicated count office, it is more likely they employed the security measures I spoke of.

crimsonone

Ok, so when they get the deposits there they open up the envelopes and count the money. If it is a dedicated count office, it is more likely they employed the security measures I spoke of.
Yes and actually I used to work at the Us Bank operations center next to the ATM department so i'd see them counting it but never saw anyone looking over them while they did it. I know they had cameras in that department but trust when I say this place had some shady employees working there and is why I wonder is someone could have pocketed it. This bank has ruined my life in more ways than one so this is just another rock through my window I suppose. I'm looking forward to eventually getting with a credit union as this is the final straw they pulled on me.

Thank for your input!

CSO286

Yes and actually I used to work at the Us Bank operations center next to the ATM department so i'd see them counting it but never saw anyone looking over them while they did it. I know they had cameras in that department but trust when I say this place had some shady employees working there and is why I wonder is someone could have pocketed it. This bank has ruined my life in more ways than one so this is just another rock through my window I suppose. I'm looking forward to eventually getting with a credit union as this is the final straw they pulled on me.

Thank for your input!
And so you stayed--why?

crimsonone

Hello and thank you for all of your replies...I'd thought it would be appropriate to give an update on the situation. I ended up closing my account but before doing so asked to have a copy of the proof that was used to determine that the bank didn't make an error and after a few months went by with nothing in the mail I decided to turn it into the Consumer Protection Bureau. After a few weeks of saying they were working on the case they returned a letter to the CFPB stating they were after all in the wrong and would be returning my $40. Here is a copy of the body of the letter response from U.S. Bank to the CFPB report...

"U.S. Bank is in receipt of your recent inquiry to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) in regards to an ATM deposit transaction on April 04, 2013 in the amount of $70.00. We take all inquiries very seriously. Please be assured U.S. Bank has the highest level of commitment to the services we provide. U.S. Bank strives toward excellence in customer service we provide. U.S. Bank strives toward excellence in customer service and we sincerely apologize for any frustration that this may have caused you.

Your account was originally credited for a deposit of $70.00. On April 8, 2013, the branch erroneously determined that there was a discrepancy between what was written on the envelope and the cash actually found in the envelope and adjusted your deposit to $30.00. On April 8, 2013, you disputed the transaction, indicating there is $40.00 missing from the deposit you had made. This original dispute was denied.

Upon receiving your complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, we have determined a bank error occurred during the official review of your deposit envelope with the branch. We have notified the responsible parties of the error and took corrective action to assure this does not happen in the future. U.S. Bank has deposited $40.00 into your account ending XXXX. This money will be sent to you in the form of a check to the above address. U.S. Bank will then reclose your account after the funds have been sent to you.

We are truly sorry for any difficulty this may have caused you. U.S. Bank makes every effort to resolve all customer issues quickly and thoroughly."

So here is my main question about all of this. They claim that they are reopening my account for the $40 check but then claim to be sending it out to my address on record and then will close it after i've cashed it (how would i know its closed if they've lied before?). I wondering if I should dispute this response with CFPB as i'm allowed to do or pursue further legal action as I have proof they have lied and put all the blame on me in various months of letters until I turned it into the CFPB then they wanted to play innocent. Does anyone have any input or advice about possible further legal action here or is this an open and shut case now?

Thank you!

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Yet you had so much confidence in your former co-workers, you deposited cash, even though you knew it was foolish to do so!!!:cool:

Thank for your input!

crimsonone

He nailed it:cool:
Nailed what exactly? Yes I made a deposit because it was the closet available ATM machine and the branches were closed and I had to get money in that day. Is this a habbit to try and crucify the consumer on this site because I perceived the opposite but i'm starting to wonder? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">