• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Citizen Divorcing Canadian Citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

routerconfigif

Hello,

Looking to see what would be the easiest for me. I am a US citizen (not a Canadian citizen). Husband is a Canadian citizen. He lives in Alberta and I live in Ohio. We got married in Alberta, Canada. The divorce is mutual. Would it be easier for me to file my claim for divorce in Alberta or here in Ohio? Do I still need to obtain my original marriage certificate? Any advantages / disadvantages? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for your time in advance.

LdiJ

Hello,

Looking to see what would be the easiest for me. I am a US citizen (not a Canadian citizen). Husband is a Canadian citizen. He lives in Alberta and I live in Ohio. We got married in Alberta, Canada. The divorce is mutual. Would it be easier for me to file my claim for divorce in Alberta or here in Ohio? Do I still need to obtain my original marriage certificate? Any advantages / disadvantages? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for your time in advance.
You live in Ohio, you can and should file for divorce in Ohio. Whether or not there is anything else for you to consider depends on a whole host of factors not currently in evidence here.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You should consult with a local divorce/family law attorney who can better inform you as to how this process would work.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You should consult with a local divorce/family law attorney who can better inform you as to how this process would work.
She files in Ohio in her county of residence. Ohio can grant her a divorce. But not spousal support (unless husband consents) and not property division of anything in Canada.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">