• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US, Is my body my personel property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

asdf

In the US, is my body considered my own personel property? I was hoping it is.
I feel that I should be able to do what every I want with my personel property, as long is it doesn't pester anyone else.
If I choose not to wear a seatbelt, while crusing around in my car, why is it anyone elses' business? It's my life! If I want to kill my self, well tough, it's MY SELF, and I probably have good reasons, which I don't want to share with the government.
Perhaps these two examples would bother other people, but let's not lose our rights to our own body.
The reason I began thinking along these lines, was, to drive a commercial truck, the law requires drivers to be subject to give blood, at any time, to prove their innocence, of using illicit substances. My blood is my own, not a tool for the traffic cops, to make their life easier. Perhaps if the authorities had some kind of suspicion, like long hair or the like, it might be ok.
I know what your going to say, there are people out there that need that kind of law, to keep themselves from hurting themselves.
But what's wrong with natural selection? It's worked for millions of years.
If someone out there wants to climb mountains or eat pork rinds all the time, should we make laws to keep them from hurting themselves? It's their selves.
Anyway, I'm sure I'm like a lot of people, I'm going to ignore the unreasonable laws, the ones which treat my own body as being not quite my own personel property.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asdf:
In the US, is my body considered my own personel property? I was hoping it is.
I feel that I should be able to do what every I want with my personel property, as long is it doesn't pester anyone else.
If I choose not to wear a seatbelt, while crusing around in my car, why is it anyone elses' business? It's my life! If I want to kill my self, well tough, it's MY SELF, and I probably have good reasons, which I don't want to share with the government.
Perhaps these two examples would bother other people, but let's not lose our rights to our own body.
The reason I began thinking along these lines, was, to drive a commercial truck, the law requires drivers to be subject to give blood, at any time, to prove their innocence, of using illicit substances. My blood is my own, not a tool for the traffic cops, to make their life easier. Perhaps if the authorities had some kind of suspicion, like long hair or the like, it might be ok.
I know what your going to say, there are people out there that need that kind of law, to keep themselves from hurting themselves.
But what's wrong with natural selection? It's worked for millions of years.
If someone out there wants to climb mountains or eat pork rinds all the time, should we make laws to keep them from hurting themselves? It's their selves.
Anyway, I'm sure I'm like a lot of people, I'm going to ignore the unreasonable laws, the ones which treat my own body as being not quite my own personel property.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, your body is your own. We have learned that lesson, long ago, from cases such as "Roe vs. Wade" and it's progeny. However, and using your seatbelt example, while it is your body, one of the purposes of that law was to keep you from becoming a burden - - not to yourself - - but to society. Sometimes when we're in accidents, without a seatbelt, we get injured to the point where we need Welfare, Social Security, or other taxpayer benefits, so that we can continue living. With seatbelts, however, the likelihood of grave injury is lessened, and thereby, less of a burden on society in general. Yes, do with your body as you will . . . just don't make me, as a taxpayer, pay for your decision.

Thanks for writing.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

asdf

Well put, and I agree, up to a point. I understand that cigarette smokers tend to die quickly, and are therefore less of a burden on society. In other words, they cost the tax-payer less than a non smoker. Are peole who don't wear seat belts the same? Of course, it all boils down to money, not constitutional rights. A 'free society' may cost a little more, or it may not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">