• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US student legal in Europe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ughmom3

Wisconsin High School Student concern. My son is on a School Trip to France. He is 18 and legal to drink there. He was caught drinking alcohol and because he was on a school sponsored trip they said he will be receiving an under age drinking ticket when he gets back to Wisconsin. The rules of the program warn that there can be no illegal substances, but he is the only one 18 years old and legally can drink in the country. The program also states he is bound by the laws of that country. Is it legal for the school to obtain City citations for underage drinking for him back in Wisconsin?

FlyingRon

You'd have to tell us what "city" ordinance he would be cited with, but it sounds unlikely.
The school can certainly sanction him on their own for misbehavior on their trip.

LdiJ

You'd have to tell us what "city" ordinance he would be cited with, but it sounds unlikely.
The school can certainly sanction him on their own for misbehavior on their trip.
I don't even see how it can be called misbehavior. He is a legal adult who did something that it was legal to do.

FlyingRon

I don't even see how it can be called misbehavior. He is a legal adult who did something that it was legal to do.
Because the schools can have rules for their trip precluding things that are LEGAL. You want to go on their trip, you follow the rules or face the consequences.

Admittedly, my school trip to Europe back in the 1970's, I drank at the age of 15 I think, with the chaperones in attendance (in fact, I had to lead one of them back to our hotel as he wasn't up to navigating afterwards) but those were different times back then.

LdiJ

Because the schools can have rules for their trip precluding things that are LEGAL. You want to go on their trip, you follow the rules or face the consequences.

Admittedly, my school trip to Europe back in the 1970's, I drank at the age of 15 I think, with the chaperones in attendance (in fact, I had to lead one of them back to our hotel as he wasn't up to navigating afterwards) but those were different times back then.
I don't disagree that the school can have rules. I am just not sure what consequences they can realistically impose. The threat to have him cited in WI for underage drinking certainly isn't going to fly...and when all is said and done, I don't even think that they could make a suspension stick. If I were a parent in that scenario I would take it all the way up the line on that one, specifically because my child was a legal adult who did something that was legal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't disagree that the school can have rules. I am just not sure what consequences they can realistically impose. The threat to have him cited in WI for underage drinking certainly isn't going to fly...and when all is said and done, I don't even think that they could make a suspension stick. If I were a parent in that scenario I would take it all the way up the line on that one, specifically because my child was a legal adult who did something that was legal.
If the "child" knows that a suspension can result from violating the established rules, then yes, a suspension can certainly "stick".

TinkerBelleLuvr

I can't fathom how a city would have jurisdiction in this case. Whether it is a foreign country or another state, the action was done in a place outside of the city. Now, the school can have a consequence such as suspension, but the city doesn't have jurisdiction because the ACTION was done outside of their locale. The ACTION (drinking) was LEGAL action in France.

I'm with the others to say that SON will need to go up the food chain on this one.

ughmom3

More info to follow

Thank you all for your input. I get he can be held accountable to school punishment and we both can accept that. My son will be on his way home tomorrow, so I will let you know what he has been told by the school officials as soon as I have been advised.

Thanks again

ughmom3

More info

So apparently they cannot charge with anything. It was just a teacher threatening to do so. Thanks for all of your opinions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">