• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Us. Supreme overturning LA Supreme Court decision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sweettweet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Just recently the LA Supreme Court ruled on a case denying the claim.
The plaintiffs decided to appeal the U.S. Supreme Court.

I have been told that the U.S. Supreme Court does not usually overturn the lower court's decision.

Information anyone. Just curious since I am a part of the class action.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Just recently the LA Supreme Court ruled on a case denying the claim.
The plaintiffs decided to appeal the U.S. Supreme Court.

I have been told that the U.S. Supreme Court does not usually overturn the lower court's decision.

Information anyone. Just curious since I am a part of the class action.
Less than 1% of the cases appealed to the USSC are heard by the USSC.

single317dad

There is such a wealth of statistical information and analysis of Supreme Court behavior that it would not do justice to supply only one or two sources. Begin here:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=supreme+court+statistics

Recently, the Court has rarely heard cases directly from any state court. The clear plurality of cases have come from the Ninth District Court of Appeals (California, et al). The majority of recent cases have resulted in reversals (72%, versus 28% affirmations).

Of course, none of this applies to your case, as it will be heard or not heard -- and, if heard, judged -- on its own merits.

quincy

I agree with single317dad that there is a wealth of information about the US Supreme Court that you can find through an internet search, but it is always important to look at the SOURCE of the information. It is also important to know exactly what the statistics provided are telling you.

The percentages in single317dad's post leads to some confusion on their own. Both the source of these percentages and the context are important.

In my opinion, the best place to start a search for information about the US Supreme Court is the US Supreme Court's own website. Here is a link to recent information on the USSC caseload (10,000+ cases on the docket per term) and the number of cases with oral argument heard by the full court each term (approximately 100):

http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/justicecaseload.aspx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">