• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uscg - Njp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbaish

What is the name of your state?Virginia, Yorktown
My son is in the USCG at Yorktown, he was involved in a small problem of returning late due to a car breakdown. For this he received 30 days in CCU, while there another Navy man started harrassing him and following him including into the shower. The staff at CCU didn't do anything when notified of this and in fact made him stand for hours because he was a trouble maker coasty. Words were said and the same day of the words my son went to the hospital because of leg/knee problems which he still has after 1 1/2 months. Now the question. He was brought up to another NJP and told he was to be discharged in a hearing that lasted less than 15 minutes. He statements were not read and he was not allowed to make a statement in his defense.

Can you be discharged at NJP is my big question??? Can someone answer this and what can my son do to stop this. Inspite of the problems he has had he still wants to be in the coast guard and serve his country.

Thank you for any help

Spazilton

No he can't be dischardged per se by an NJP, however the CO can recommend an admin seperation. I find it very hard to believe that he was awarded 30 days in CCU for being late back because of car trouble. Normally CCU is reserved for the biggest troulbemakers. I do have to assume that he is an E-3 or below due to the fact that E-4 and above cannot be sent to CCU. What was he sent to NJP again for? Need to have more information in order to be able to give a better answer. However it sounds to me that all that you aren't getting or telling the full story. See if you can get some more specific details, that will help greatly in determing what if anything your son can do.

Snipes5

I agree. Your coastie screwed up badly. Sounds like he was at Yorktown for "A" school, and did something horribly wrong, which he neglected to tell you about.

The Coast Guard does not just throw people out lightly, and they do have a "second chance" program, so there must be a reason he wasn't recommended for it.

Perhaps the fact that he was brought up on MORE charges should be a clue? It sounds to me as though he is ill-suited to military life.

Snipes

flhrgirl

your son has no right to present anything at NJP/ if he truely had extenuating curcumstances, he should have refused NJP and requested CM. secured counsel... needless to say Yorktown is no place to screw up even a tiny bit. They seem to wait ... chomping at the bit to catch someone having any variation from even the slightest of rules. your son should speak with NAVY JAG regarding his question. CG can go to them for assistance. If he plans on trying to stay, he needs to take a round turn on anything that could even be percieved as against the grain. good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">