• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of images on website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerrygoodspeed

Hi all, this looks a great place for information, can't believe I haven't stumbled on it before now.
I run a blog and a friend warned me I might be wise to check copyright. In one example, I have a free to read article on my site which uses an image from an episode of the X Files. I never thought anything of it, it fits nicely and I loved the program, so I used it! But now I am wondering if this is a breach of copyright and if I am liable for being sued by someone? Can anyone offer some thoughts please?

quincy

Hi all, this looks a great place for information, can't believe I haven't stumbled on it before now.
I run a blog and a friend warned me I might be wise to check copyright. In one example, I have a free to read article on my site which uses an image from an episode of the X Files. I never thought anything of it, it fits nicely and I loved the program, so I used it! But now I am wondering if this is a breach of copyright and if I am liable for being sued by someone? Can anyone offer some thoughts please?
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

From where are you getting the photos for your blog?

For what sort of blog posts are the photos being used?

Last edited:

quincy

The laws in the UK differ from the laws in the US.

In the US, we have a "fair use" defense to copyright infringement. The UK does not.

Because you are located in the UK, those are the laws you need to concern yourself with as those will be the laws under which you will be sued should the copyright holder(s) take exception to your use(s) of rights-protected material and decide to sue.

It is always best and legally safest to assume you need permission to use any material that you have not created yourself.

You might be smart to review your uses of copyrighted photos on your blog with an IP professional in your area.

You have, as a note, a smart friend who is looking out for your best interests. That's nice. :)

jerrygoodspeed

Thanks very much. I also have a picture of Donald Trump (not the usual ripping political commentary, just a jokey reference). Being the President of the USA, I again foolishly 'assumed' it would be ok to use it, but of course someone took that picture, and they need to get paid or credited for their work! Eye-opening stuff this for me, I am not usually this dumb either! Thanks again

quincy

Thanks very much. I also have a picture of Donald Trump (not the usual ripping political commentary, just a jokey reference). Being the President of the USA, I again foolishly 'assumed' it would be ok to use it, but of course someone took that picture, and they need to get paid or credited for their work! Eye-opening stuff this for me, I am not usually this dumb either! Thanks again
You are in the company of many when it comes to not completely understanding copyright laws. They are complex and confusing. :)

There ARE uses of copyrighted works that are okay. But specifics will always matter. That is why getting permission from the holder of rights is recommended. It eliminates the chance of a lawsuit.

Good luck with your blog.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">