• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car Dealer problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessesmama2010

South Carolina On December 2 2019 I financed a 2007 Dodge Caliber from a used car lot. Dealer said sold AS IS no warranty. About 6 days later I started driving the car daily, on day 8 it was overheating, gauge on dash not saying it was but overflow was like a boiling stew pot. Contacted dealer, they said take to a mechanic. I did it needed two thermostats replaced I paid for this all to be completed. It has still been overeating, and its spraying antifreeze all over the engine. I was told by mechanic that the head gasket was blown and none of this could have been a new issue in just a couple of weeks of my owning the car. Dealer is now acting shady, does not want to help fix the issues that were already an issue when I got the car, also said as much as they would like to do so they cannot just transfer me into another car. They claimed to have had work done to this car before putting it on the lot which was an oil sending unit sensor. Also check engine light is on which they stated was an 02 sensor, mechanics machine says nothing about an 02 sensor being an issue its saying transmission temperature and pressure are an issue as well as blown head gasket. Is there anything I can do legally about this situation. It is a car lot thats only been in business about 3 months and they say they knew no issues with the car yet they act differently.

Last edited:

"Dealer said sold AS IS no warranty"

But your posting confuses me. The mechanic you took it to replaced both thermostats; and when it didn't fix the problem he decided to tell you it had a blown head gasket. o_O

Just Blue

South Carolina On December 2 2019 I financed a 2007 Dodge Caliber from a used car lot. Dealer said sold AS IS no warranty. About 6 days later I started driving the car daily, on day 8 it was overheating, gauge on dash not saying it was but overflow was like a boiling stew pot. Contacted dealer, they said take to a mechanic. I did it needed two thermostats replaced I paid for this all to be completed. It has still been overeating, and its spraying antifreeze all over the engine. I was told by mechanic that the head gasket was blown and none of this could have been a new issue in just a couple of weeks of my owning the car. Dealer is now acting shady, does not want to help fix the issues that were already an issue when I got the car, also said as much as they would like to do so they cannot just transfer me into another car. They claimed to have had work done to this car before putting it on the lot which was an oil sending unit sensor. Also check engine light is on which they stated was an 02 sensor, mechanics machine says nothing about an 02 sensor being an issue its saying transmission temperature and pressure are an issue as well as blown head gasket. Is there anything I can do legally about this situation. It is a car lot thats only been in business about 3 months and they say they knew no issues with the car yet they act differently.
Did you have the car check out by YOUR mechanic before purchase?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">