• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car did not pass inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnusa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass

Hi,

I bought a used 2002 car from a private party from RI, I am living in Mass. I paid $4600 in cash, but did not ask the person to sign he receive the money(mistake). The title is on his girlfriend’s name. The car did not pass the inspection due to engine light on(but the light bulb been took out from the car, so I cannot see it when I bought it, may take out by the seller). On the 7th day I bought the car, I contacted the seller and he said he will buy part on ebay and fix it. But he did not answer my phone calls now.

1. What should I do?
2. Can I pay to have it fixed in order to pass the inspection and then sue him to pay for the cost? Sue him or his girlfriend, since her name is on the title?
3. Any other option?

Thanks!

Shawn

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass

Hi,

I bought a used 2002 car from a private party from RI, I am living in Mass. I paid $4600 in cash, but did not ask the person to sign he receive the money(mistake). The title is on his girlfriend’s name. The car did not pass the inspection due to engine light on(but the light bulb been took out from the car, so I cannot see it when I bought it, may take out by the seller). On the 7th day I bought the car, I contacted the seller and he said he will buy part on ebay and fix it. But he did not answer my phone calls now.

1. What should I do?
2. Can I pay to have it fixed in order to pass the inspection and then sue him to pay for the cost? Sue him or his girlfriend, since her name is on the title?
3. Any other option?

Thanks!

Shawn
Please keep in mind that the MA laws won't apply since you made the purchase in RI.

PaulMass

Sue both owner and seller in RI small claims court.

Tampering with the emissions system is a violation of Federal Law.

shawnusa

Seller did repaire by using the used parts

The seller agree to repair it, but he used the used parts, the Mass inspection station computer shows need drive more mils before the retest, since the computer shows not ready. now the error code come back again. The 60 days already been passed. If I go to do another inspection station, do I get another 60 days to fix the problem? Thanks.

justalayman

Sue both owner and seller in RI small claims court.

Tampering with the emissions system is a violation of Federal Law.

I'm not sure removing the lamp equates to tampering with the system as the lamp being removed does not affect the operation of the system

On top of that; how do you prove who removed the lamp

Since you suggested suing in RI courts, have you confirmed there is a state law controlling hrre? I know the Feds have laws controlling the issue but to sue in state court there would have to also be a state law controlling the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">