• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car / Open Safety Recall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

I am deeply skeptical of the dealer's seemingly self serving claim that the contract could not be bought back because of open safety recalls (yet could be sold)

"I'm sorry we can't do anything about our selling you this car with a safety problem, since it has a safety problem."

:cool: :rolleyes:
absolutely.
they bought it that way when they bought it so claiming they can’t do the exact same thing now seems a bit implausible.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Too bad that OP has no real proof of what he's claiming. Also too bad that the contract surely says that it represents the entire agreement and nothing said verbally shall be construed as to alter the terms of the contract, yada yada.

justalayman

Too bad that OP has no real proof of what he's claiming. Also too bad that the contract surely says that it represents the entire agreement and nothing said verbally shall be construed as to alter the terms of the contract, yada yada.
Maybe but the Texas attorney general doesn’t have to believe the dealer.

TexasThomas

I missed that. But according to the recall notice listed on Cars.com the replacement wasn't available as of July 15, 2016. It may well be available now and he should contact a Ford dealership to see if it is.

No, that is what the letter from Ford let me know, there is a large delay on replacement and they do not expect parts to be available until late spring/early summer of 2018 and then parts with be replaced in the priority order established in the NHTSACRO.

TexasThomas

Proof as in? I have my wife, daughter and a third party that had nothing to do with the contract as witness of the salesman deception. When presented to the GM, that is when he said he would see what he can do to make me feel whole, but "I can not buy back a contract with an open safety recall". He was going see about exchanging the contract for a new contract on another vehicle, but does not answer or return my calls for 2 days. I am just looking for options.

My reason for not trusting this dealer.
#1 Salesman was on his 3rd day of employment, yet was either terminated or self terminated 2 days later.
#2 Bought the vehicle on a Sat evening, drove it home and parked it til Mon morning to go add to insurance, battery completely dead, tired discovered to have wire showing on inside. Replaced Battery and 2 front tires.
#3 Had to go have a second key made because they could not find or supply the 2nd key as verbally promised.
#4 Lied on a couple instances and tried to backtrack and cover up the lie after.
#5 Put my family lives in danger to make a buck.
#6 I contacted the previous owner who informed me they knew, that was the reason he traded the vehicle to them. He was tired of waiting for a replacement part on the recall.

This is not a small used car lot, its a Dealership, not what one would expect.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

#1 Doesn't matter in the least.
#2 It is a 7 year old used car bought as it.
#3 Should have had them put in writing they owed you a second key.
#4 You should left without buying the truck after the 1st lie.
#5 Several thousand cars and trucks under the same recall.
#6 You should have called him before you bought it.

TexasThomas

#1 Doesn't matter in the least.
#2 It is a 7 year old used car bought as it.
#3 Should have had them put in writing they owed you a second key.
#4 You should left without buying the truck after the 1st lie.
#5 Several thousand cars and trucks under the same recall.
#6 You should have called him before you bought it.
#1 Your right doesn't matter, but possibility shows the character of the salesman
#2 yes 7 year old purchased AS/IS which I had no issue with and bought an extended warranty
#3 Yes I should have but since I did not and took their word I purchased a second key
#4 Did not know the first was a lie until 3 months after the fact
#5 Really, mine isn't the only one?
#6 Call who, the GM? What reason would I have to have called the GM prior to the purchase?

PayrollHRGuy

#1 Your right doesn't matter, but possibility shows the character of the salesman
#2 yes 7 year old purchased AS/IS which I had no issue with and bought an extended warranty
#3 Yes I should have but since I did not and took their word I purchased a second key
#4 Did not know the first was a lie until 3 months after the fact
#5 Really, mine isn't the only one?
#6 Call who, the GM? What reason would I have to have called the GM prior to the purchase?
#5 Are you serious?
#6 The previous owner you mentioned in your #6

Last edited:
For your next used vehicle purchase, you can check for open recalls yourself at this website.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7avEh7Px2AIVAw1pCh0_sgNuEAAYASABEgLjDPD_BwE#vin

TexasThomas

#5 Are you serious?
#6 The previous owner you mentioned in your #6
I had no clue who the previous owner was until after I got the recall notice 3 months later from Ford. It was Ford who then told me who he was when they disclosed to me who they sent the recall notices out to prior to me as the new owner.

Update: The dealership just got back with me. The GM had a salesman call me instead of calling me himself and here is what he wants to do. Give me $2,000 less then I just bought the truck for from them in trade in value back for another truck they have. Me forfeit the new tires and battery value, pay the tax title and license, finance for 60 mo instead of 36 and double my payment.... So it looks like they are willing to buy back an Open Safety Recall contract as long as they are willing to be able to squeeze more money and give me a second shafting....

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

I was wrong. I said thousands. According to the NHTSA there are approximately 37 million cars and trucks affected by the recall.

justalayman

There’s no sense in arguing. It won’t benefit anybody.

I suggest you contact the Texas attorney general for guidance on the matter or a private attorney if you so choose.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had no clue who the previous owner was until after I got the recall notice 3 months later from Ford. It was Ford who then told me who he was when they disclosed to me who they sent the recall notices out to prior to me as the new owner.
Shame on Ford for disclosing that information to you. They're going to be in for a reckoning when someone gets hurt or killed by a jealous ex (etc.) after having received their address from Ford.

TexasThomas

For your next used vehicle purchase, you can check for open recalls yourself at this website.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7avEh7Px2AIVAw1pCh0_sgNuEAAYASABEgLjDPD_BwE#vin

Tim its not the fact of the recall, if I could go down and have the recall completed then I would and just stay mad at the fact they lied to pawn the recall off on me. The problem I have is I would not have purchased the vehicle if they had been up-front and the fact that it may be 3 months or 10 years before if ever the recall can be completed and I am left with a 1 person vehicle unless willing to put the safety of others on the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">