• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using a parents work history to get SSDI in addition to SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DisabledGeek89

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Can I use my Father's work history to get SSDI in addition to SSI? I saw something about this somewhere online. I have Asperger's Syndrome along with a crippling depression. Would it affect my Father's retirement or anything else? Also what would I need to do go get the benefits and also could I get backpay? I am in a tight financial bind and my depression makes it so I can't really work. Thanks in advance.

Janke

Is your father deceased? Is he over retirement age and filed his own retirement claim? Is he currently entitled to SSDI on his own record because he is currently disabled? Your father would have to be dead or getting money from SS first. Then you could file as a Childhood Disability Beneficiary (CDB) formerly called Disabled Adult Child (DAC). You would have to prove that you became disabled before age 22, AND that you did not perform Substantial Gainful Activity after that date.

SSI would require that you file, if potentially eligible. It does not affect the amount your dad gets.

If your dad is alive and still going to work, you won't qualify now. But you might qualify when he retires or when he dies. Same as your mother. You should try to get a paper copy of your old medical records saved in your permanent files, especially those are dated before age 22

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">