• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Hal 9000 from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dannyboy81

Hello all;

I am making a computer game that involves interacting with a computer system like Hal 9000 from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. I would rather have it actually BE Hal 9000, but failing that I'd like to know how different it would have to be to avoid any infringement.
If I want to make it be HAL 9000, who do I have to talk to as far as licensing rights etc.
If I wanted to make it close, but not infringment; how different does it need to be. For instance if I had a system called HAL 9001 that looked like a purple orb (instead of red) is that different enough? How about a green triangle named PAL 345345; is that different enough? Etc. I know there are organizations for music rights like ASCAP; is there something similar for old movie properties like HAL 9000? Any information you can offer would be much appreciated. I live in New York, if that is relevant. Thank you.

dannyboy81

Just for reference, no matter what plan above is used there will be no direct clips or sound effects taken form the movie. There would be an original graphical reproduction of HAL that actually behaves a little different than the one in the movie (this one animates for instance) and there would be an original voice actor saying things close to, but not exactly the same, as lines form the movie (in addition to other things). Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">