• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Images in Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheChem

I’m in Georgia (USA). I have a business idea. Obviously, WedMD has medication names, colors, and pill imprint info. I know I can use that because it’s generic and public.

The website also has images of all pills I would like to use. Can I use these since the pill is available to anyone? The images are just of the individual pill. If I remove the background they have (which is just gray), and leave just the pill, can I do that?

quincy

I’m in Georgia (USA). I have a business idea. Obviously, WedMD has medication names, colors, and pill imprint info. I know I can use that because it’s generic and public.

The website also has images of all pills I would like to use. Can I use these since the pill is available to anyone? The images are just of the individual pill. If I remove the background they have (which is just gray), and leave just the pill, can I do that?
You (generally) need to acquire permission, often in the form of a licensing agreement. Most of the images are copyrighted and cannot be reproduced or modified.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Be careful. While you can use facts on your site and not infringe the copyright of the other site, if you lift the descriptions word for word off the other site you may run into trouble.

quincy gave you the bottom line on this one. Altering the image to remove background does not change the fact that you are using the work of someone else. They put in the effort to photograph each of those pills, deciding on the lighting, how the pill will be shown, etc., and you'd be seeking to profit off that work. That's a problem. So you'll need to either get a license or undertake your own project to photograph each one.

quincy

There are several companies with drug databases where you can license images for your own site and you check out the databases at the National Library of Medicine (https://www.nlm.nih.gov).

You should assume that all that you see online (all images, graphics, text, etc) is rights-protected material and requires permission from the holder of these rights to reproduce it.

You must also be careful in how you use any trademarks of the companies that manufacture the drugs. You don't want to infringe on trademark rights or disparage a company or its products.

Whenever starting any new business, it is smart to go over your plans with an attorney to best ensure you and your business are not crossing any legal lines.

Good luck.

Last edited:

quincy

You're welcome, TheChem. We really appreciate the thanks so thank you.

I wish you good luck in developing your business idea and making it a success.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">