• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Pictures on website and course materials

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maciver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Teachers use Google Images a lot to find pictures to use in their classrooms for teaching. Presenters use Google Images and Clip Art a great deal in their Powerpoint presentations. Is it ever legal to use pictures found using Google Images (or similar search engine) when making educational presentations to sell for profit? What about Clip Art pictures downloaded through windows programs?

What about links to products? If I want to link visitors to my website to materials for sale on another website (e.g. text books) can I use a picture of that text book as the link without breaking copyright rules?

Thanks for your help.

The Occultist

Educational uses have a high potential for falling under "Fair Use". If any profit is involved, then Fair Use is usually not a viable defense.

When in doubt, you have two options: retain an attorney, or get permission from whomever holds the copyright to the image in question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">