• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using pseudonyms on resumes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, wanting to give you the most accurate information for your questions is not judging you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I appreciate that. I really am only looking for answers to these hypothetical questions.
Hypothetically, a large criminal syndicate could be manipulating all of the information reporting agencies. Hypothetically, you could have a chip already implanted in you that makes such archaic things as "names" irrelevant. Hypothetically...hypothetically...hypothetically.

REALISTICALLY, answering hypotheticals is best reserved for sitting around the fire with buddies and beer.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I will also add that an employer can choose not to hire an applicant if they do not supply transcript(s)/proof of graduation, etc., if they feel that information is necessary.

adjusterjack

Hypothetically, a large criminal syndicate could be manipulating all of the information reporting agencies. Hypothetically, you could have a chip already implanted in you that makes such archaic things as "names" irrelevant. Hypothetically...hypothetically...hypothetically.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same.
In practice, the aren't.
(Yogi Berra)

LdiJ

I appreciate that. I really am only looking for answers to these hypothetical questions.
Here is the bottom line:

In most instances using a pseudonym on a resume, for a private industry job (a job that does not require a security clearance) is not going to be illegal.

However, you will not get the job...or if you do, you will get fired shortly afterward. Why? Because your name and SSN won't match. Now, with a small employer who doesn't do background checks or anything similar, you might get away with it until mid summer the year after you start the job, when the IRS and the SSA inform the employer that your name and social do not match, but you will end up fired.

Those kind of jobs however, normally don't require resumes in the first place.

quincy

Here is the bottom line:

In most instances using a pseudonym on a resume, for a private industry job (a job that does not require a security clearance) is not going to be illegal.

However, you will not get the job...or if you do, you will get fired shortly afterward. Why? Because your name and SSN won't match. Now, with a small employer who doesn't do background checks or anything similar, you might get away with it until mid summer the year after you start the job, when the IRS and the SSA inform the employer that your name and social do not match, but you will end up fired.

Those kind of jobs however, normally don't require resumes in the first place.
It depends on the pseudonym and the reason for using one.

quincy

That is why I qualified my statement, two different ways.
Actually, you made several statements of fact (e.g., "However, you will not get the job ... or if you do, you will get fired shortly after.") and these statements are not necessarily true.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm generally one of the first to come down on LdiJ for that kind of statement, but in this particular chance the odds are much, much greater that she is right than that she is wrong.

quincy

I'm generally one of the first to come down on LdiJ for that kind of statement, but in this particular chance the odds are much, much greater that she is right than that she is wrong.
It really depends on the pseudonym.

A pseudonym can be using "Bob" instead of "Robert" or shortening a long hard-to-pronounce first or last name.

Intent is important when using a pseudonym on a resume.

I disagree with the statement that someone will not be hired, or if hired will be fired, for using a pseudonym on a resume. That is not a true statement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know what LdiJ is trying to say...but using a name on a resume is not the same as failing to give accurate information on the application and related paperwork. Just sayin'

LdiJ

Actually, you made several statements of fact (e.g., "However, you will not get the job ... or if you do, you will get fired shortly after.") and these statements are not true (and were not qualified).
Those statements were true and that is why I did not qualify them. Employers are required to provide accurate information to both the state and the federal government regarding people that they hire. If they do things accurately, they get notified pretty quickly that an employee's name and social do not match by the state. Either the state's new hire division or the unemployment compensation people are going to catch it. If the employer does a background check it will get caught even before hiring.

If it doesn't get caught by the state for some reason, it will get caught by the SSA and the IRS when W2s are processed and/or tax returns filed. A letter will get sent out advising them which employees names and socials did not match, and the employer will be instructed to get the correct information. Hopefully the employer would be smart enough to fire the guy at that point when its discovered that the problem is not due to just a typo or transposition.

Now, if you want me to say that there actually might be an employer out there somewhere who would be stupid enough NOT to fire the guy, then ok. I will concede to that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">