• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using social media as evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alice_hatter

I have a friend who is going over custody of their daughter and a divorce. He wants 50/50 custody so is it possible for him to lose custody of his daughter who is 4 years old if his ex wife uses social media posts of him drinking beer or being at a party with beer while he has their daughter with him at that time?

CdwJava

Anything might be possible. But, unless she can show that the child was somehow endangered because dad had a beer or attended a party, she might merely look foolish by trying to paint him as being unfit because he has some beer.

Is there something more to the allegations? Is he alleged to have left the child alone at home while he went on a binge? Or, that he passed out or was horribly inebriated? Dad may want to consider attending fewer social engagements that involve drinking if this is a problem with his ex. And, he may want to evaluate whether or not he has a problem with alcohol if this is an issue with her.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It would be best for your friend to create an account and post his own questions regarding his situation. The devil's in the details, so to speak, and he will have the necessary ones. Thank you for your understanding.

LdiJ

I have a friend who is going over custody of their daughter and a divorce. He wants 50/50 custody so is it possible for him to lose custody of his daughter who is 4 years old if his ex wife uses social media posts of him drinking beer or being at a party with beer while he has their daughter with him at that time?
Honestly, that kind of social media attention is just unwise overall. Whether it matters in his custody case at all, it could matter to future employers or anyone that checks him out for something important. He should keep his partying off social media, period.

_HappyDad_

Was he drinking the beer? Was he just holding a beer for someone? Maybe the beer was empty and he was trying to be funny? How many beers did he drink? Who was there as a witness?

quincy

What is the name of your state - and what is the name of the dad's state?

... Is there something more to the allegations? ...
Repeating CdwJava's question above.

Is the dad prohibited from drinking alcohol, either because he is on probation or because there is a court order prohibiting him from drinking when he is with his child?

I suspect the dad knows already whether or not social media postings of him drinking could be problematic.

LdiJ

I will also add that while a 50/50 timeshare is more common than it used to be, it is still not the norm therefore he should not consider himself as "losing custody" if he doesn't get a 50/50 timeshare. Particularly if mom is the primary caregiver for the child.

Just Blue

Are you Dad's new girlfriend?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
P.S. Asking for the relevant state is for a reason beyond sh*ts & giggles...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">