• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Sports Team Names or Cities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omalley1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a patent pending product and want to know if I can use Team names Like "The Bears" or even the City Name like "Chicago" on my product without getting any permission...:)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

City names are fair game.
Sports team names, logos, etc.. (and sometimes these are stylized city names or single letters) are trademarks and vigorously defended ones at that.

omalley1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a patent pending product and want to know if I can use Team names Like "The Bears" or even the City Name like "Chicago" on my product without getting any permission...:)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois...

omalley1

City names are fair game.
Sports team names, logos, etc.. (and sometimes these are stylized city names or single letters) are trademarks and vigorously defended ones at that.
Nice... What do you think about State's? Like IL, MI, AK, TX ect...

FlyingRon

Same holds true for states. I can make shirt that just says "Tennesee" on it.
If I make it look like the Titan's flaming T or the Vol's orange T, then I'm likely to get a nasty letter followed by further legal action.

omalley1

What if I have the word "Chicago" and the product happen to be the colors Navy Blue & Orange.... like the Bears?:)

quincy

Team colors are protected.

For a good case to look at, omalley, to see what of a sports team is protected by trademark (just about everything) and what is not protected (pretty much nothing), you can check out Board of Supervisors for La State Univ v Smack Apparel Co, 550 F 3d 465, 475 (5th Cir 2008).

Last edited:

omalley1

Ao it looks like using a City with the colors sceme may be a problem, BUT what do you think about something like "Score" or "Touchdown" with the colors? It looked like it's still undetermined in court??:rolleyes:

quincy

"Undetermined" is not really how the sports teams are looking at the decision made last year. ;) However, most are registering their colors, for the added protection.

The Smack Apparel Co suit simply mimics both the 1985 Owens-Corning Fiberglass Corp decision, where the court determined the color pink (for fiberglass products) could function as an Owens-Corning trademark, and the 1995 Supreme Court decision, Qualitex Company v Jacobson Products Corp, where it was ruled a single color (green, in this case) could function as a trademark.

Colors can serve as trademarks if, over time, they have become recognizable by consumers as an identifier of a particular product or service (or, as decided this summer, a sports team :)), and the color has no function (color that has a function, such as when it is used to signify a type of drug that is always yellow, could not also function as a trademark).

Using team colors for your sports-related products is likely to result in a lawsuit being filed against you, or a threat of one if you do not turn over your stock and hand over any and all of the profits you may have generated from your sales. Team colors WITH any text that relates in any way to the sport would be an even greater lawsuit magnet.

Although, you cannot use, say, the colors maize and blue together for any sports-related product (which includes not only sports attire but a whole range of sponsored and endorsed products) without infringing on the rights of the University of Michigan (with or without a U of M insignia or state name or anything else printed on it), you CAN make, say, "MICHIGAN" tee-shirts in maize and white, or blue and grey, or even pale blue with lemon yellow, to avoid infringement (as long as the "block M" is not used - because that, too, is trademark protected).

Visit official team websites, like the official NFL site. These sites all list what is protected by copyright and trademark. The lists are extensive.

The bottom line is that sports teams WILL sue, because the sales of team items generate HUGE amounts of money for the teams. Although trying to obtain a license is difficult and almost always prohibitively expensive for the average individual, obtaining a license is the only way to safely produce any product that uses a sports team trademark.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">