• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using text messages from other people in blog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tomamark73

Hello, I was thinking about starting a blog about dating. Share my experience, give advice etc.. Would it be legal to include parts of conversations in the blog that I had with women? Of course filtering out all personal information, names and anything that could possibly lead to the identification of the person. I wouldn't even provide the city so it could be from anybody anywhere in the US. I just want authentic documentation how some people "talk" in the dating process in dating apps. The fears they have, suspicions, their experiences they had on dates or with other people (again filtering out names and anything personal).

Thank you.

quincy

Hello, I was thinking about starting a blog about dating. Share my experience, give advice etc.. Would it be legal to include parts of conversations in the blog that I had with women? Of course filtering out all personal information, names and anything that could possibly lead to the identification of the person. I wouldn't even provide the city so it could be from anybody anywhere in the US. I just want authentic documentation how some people "talk" in the dating process in dating apps. The fears they have, suspicions, their experiences they had on dates or with other people (again filtering out names and anything personal).

Thank you.
If the conversations cannot be linked to an identified or identifiable person, there should not be a problem with repeating the conversations on your blog - as long as you respect copyright laws and do not record any conversations in violation of state recording laws.

quincy

@Zigner: In Texas (where laws are actually weird because of the one sided consent).
If you plan on recording conversations, you need to consider the recording laws of the state where the other party lives. If the other party lives in a two-party consent state, you should get consent before recording.

You might want to have a sample of what you intend to publish personally reviewed by an attorney in your area prior to publication, to better ensure you are not risking a lawsuit with your blog postings.

Good luck.

Tomamark73

@quincy: Thank you for your answers. Texas is a one consent state, I never dated anybody outside of Texas. You said: "...as long as you respect copyright laws and do not record any conversations in violation of state recording laws" I was only talking about texts (text messages) or conversations I had in dating apps, I never recorded anybody (though according to Texas law that wouldn't be illegal). It's all about written form.

quincy

@quincy: Thank you for your answers. Texas is a one consent state, I never dated anybody outside of Texas. You said: "...as long as you respect copyright laws and do not record any conversations in violation of state recording laws" I was only talking about texts (text messages) or conversations I had in dating apps, I never recorded anybody (though according to Texas law that wouldn't be illegal). It's all about written form.
What you are describing seems to nicely avoid the areas most likely to attract lawsuits. Good.

Many insurance companies now offer insurance coverage specifically designed for websites/online publications. You might want to ask your insurer about it.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">