• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USPS suspended mail service.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strange_visions

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

On Saturday, December 23 I received a certified letter from my local post office. It stated that on December 12, a package was delivered to my address that should not have been. There were 2 attempts to retrieve this package by knocking on my door, those dates were not given. The letter also states that my mail service will be suspended on December 22 (the day before the letter was delivered) and that if the matter is not resolved, the authorities will be contacted.

Now, it is rare for anyone to be at home during the day when the mail is delivered. There was never any notes left on my door or in my mailbox, which happens at times if a certified letter comes or some package that requires a signature. There's no other way to attempt contacting me about what apparently is such an important matter that they suspended my service over it?

We have received several packages in the last few weeks with grandparents sending Xmas presents for our kids. None have been addressed to anyone other than myself or my wife. There were still 2 packages we were expecting on the 22 or 23 as well.

We have made several complaints in the past about our mail carrier for leaving packages sitting in our driveway if it was too big to fit in our mailbox, even in the rain or snow. Sure she could just leave a note saying it needs to be picked up or at least put it on our porch instead of in the driveway.

What are the legalities in something like this? Should I attempt to contact the post office next time they are open first or speak with someone else first?

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

On Saturday, December 23 I received a certified letter from my local post office. It stated that on December 12, a package was delivered to my address that should not have been. There were 2 attempts to retrieve this package by knocking on my door, those dates were not given. The letter also states that my mail service will be suspended on December 22 (the day before the letter was delivered) and that if the matter is not resolved, the authorities will be contacted.

Now, it is rare for anyone to be at home during the day when the mail is delivered. There was never any notes left on my door or in my mailbox, which happens at times if a certified letter comes or some package that requires a signature. There's no other way to attempt contacting me about what apparently is such an important matter that they suspended my service over it?

We have received several packages in the last few weeks with grandparents sending Xmas presents for our kids. None have been addressed to anyone other than myself or my wife. There were still 2 packages we were expecting on the 22 or 23 as well.

We have made several complaints in the past about our mail carrier for leaving packages sitting in our driveway if it was too big to fit in our mailbox, even in the rain or snow. Sure she could just leave a note saying it needs to be picked up or at least put it on our porch instead of in the driveway.

What are the legalities in something like this? Should I attempt to contact the post office next time they are open first or speak with someone else first?
You will want to speak to your local postmaster.

There are several reasons why postal service can be discontinued. Discovering the reason behind the discontinuation of your service is key to knowing what action you can take (if any) to restore service.

xylene

1. Have they actually discontinued or did they send you a threatening note? :rolleyes: Sometime they do that. There is no rule they can't rattle your cage.

2. I'm not really clear here, you kind of beat around the bush with this "one no is ever home" "the grandkids" so, bluntly - Did you receive a package that was not intended for you or any resident or anyone otherwise reasonably authorized to ordinarily receive mail at your address?

Like did you check with your grandparents that the paackages were what was expected? Not just that they were delivered and or addressed to your address.

You want to be super sure you've check that thoroughly before your see the postmaster so you can answer definitively, rather than with a tepid 'maybe' or any hesitation, or go we didn't get anything and then 10 days later find some package you didn't recognize and look like a dunder head.

strange_visions

Yes, I was certain that what packages we had received were packages addressed to us and they contained what we expected. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. We received no package addressed to someone else, or any other kind of mail. My wife and I both searched a couple times over the weekend to double check, although a package isn't something you really misplace.

I went to the post office first thing Tuesday morning and the lady I was supposed to see was on vacation for the week. Someone from another post office was filling in, so she couldn't give me anymore info than the letter stated (it's a very small town post office). I contacted a post office about 30 miles away, which is the head office in our area. I explained that we had not received anything that was not ours. I also complained about not even being notified until after my mail was suspended. She explained how their gps system works and that it said the package (addressed to a completely different addy and name) was scanned at my address. I asked why their system couldn't tell them right away it was being delivered to the wrong address if it gave them real time updates on where their carriers were and also asked if my mail carrier's mail was also suspended since she was the one who obviously screwed up and that I wasn't guilty of anything other than not having what they claimed I did. I didn't get an answer on any of that. She told me she would check their system again and call me back. I never received a callback, so I called again this morning. She told me that my mail service was reinstated and would be delivered today. When I asked if that meant this situation was resolved, she simply repeated that my mail was reinstated and said good day and hung up the phone.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Yes, I was certain that what packages we had received were packages addressed to us and they contained what we expected. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. We received no package addressed to someone else, or any other kind of mail. My wife and I both searched a couple times over the weekend to double check, although a package isn't something you really misplace.

I went to the post office first thing Tuesday morning and the lady I was supposed to see was on vacation for the week. Someone from another post office was filling in, so she couldn't give me anymore info than the letter stated (it's a very small town post office). I contacted a post office about 30 miles away, which is the head office in our area. I explained that we had not received anything that was not ours. I also complained about not even being notified until after my mail was suspended. She explained how their gps system works and that it said the package (addressed to a completely different addy and name) was scanned at my address. I asked why their system couldn't tell them right away it was being delivered to the wrong address if it gave them real time updates on where their carriers were and also asked if my mail carrier's mail was also suspended since she was the one who obviously screwed up and that I wasn't guilty of anything other than not having what they claimed I did. I didn't get an answer on any of that. She told me she would check their system again and call me back. I never received a callback, so I called again this morning. She told me that my mail service was reinstated and would be delivered today. When I asked if that meant this situation was resolved, she simply repeated that my mail was reinstated and said good day and hung up the phone.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So everything is fixed? Excellent.

Happy New Year.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks for the update.

I don't think you have a "legal" question at this point, unless there were perishables or other time sensitive items that were not delivered as a result of the non-delivery of mail.

Late delivered Christmas cards and non-perishable gifts don't fall in this category. If something is damaged as a result of non-delivery, or you suffer financially, that may be something that you can address. Whether the post office would owe you anything depends on the situation.

First determine whether your mail is actually being delivered again. Then go up the food chain. If they left a package that you didn't sign for, how do they know it's not been stolen from your stoop by someone else? It's a huge problem in some areas of my county (towards NYC, mostly) - there's security camera video of it on the news.

The whole thing sounds fishy. (Not making accusations of you misstating - just saying that it doesn't make sense.) At the very least, file a complaint about the postal carrier. It's not like you had a vicious pet attacking the postal carrier. The postal carrier screwed up and is blaming you. How does anyone know that the postal carrier didn't steal the item his/herself?

LdiJ

Perhaps that is the very focus of their investigation now, and why they were curt with strange_visions when pressed for any other information.
That is certainly very plausible.

Its also very plausible that they know exactly what happened due to their investigation and do not want to admit fault. Somebody may be afraid of losing their job.

strange_visions

I've wondered all these things myself, as well as maybe they came across our past complaints about the woman leaving stuff sitting in our driveway.

Originally, I was just concerned with what they could attempt against me legally being that I couldn't return a package I didn't have. My thoughts were that all they could really prove was that said package was scanned at my address, but not that it was delivered or that I had received it. My real worry was that it is a government operation so that could be difficult to fight back against if it wasn't cleared up.

And yes, my mail was delivered yesterday.

Rushia

Being that my husband is a postal carrier, this story makes no sense at all and is full of many holes.

Unless the Carrier did steal the package....no one is losing their job. The Post Master has every right to suspend service for any number of reasons. Chances are your service was suspended to force a response out of you.

Carriers may NOT leave packages in the middle of the driveway without reason (think...dog chasing you). With your number of complaints...the carrier should secretly observed by now, if caught, reprimanded. Seems to not have happened.

Yes, those scanners are pretty accurate on their gps location. My husband deals with this frequently when there are complaints that they did not receive their package, or when they try to say he didn't attempt to knock on the door. That scanner will show the PO how long it took him to walk up the driveway and even how long he stood at the door.

The post office most likely decided it wasn't worth the trouble attempting to get the package back. :rolleyes:

Just Blue

Being that my husband is a postal carrier, this story makes no sense at all and is full of many holes.

Unless the Carrier did steal the package....no one is losing their job. The Post Master has every right to suspend service for any number of reasons. Chances are your service was suspended to force a response out of you.

Carriers may NOT leave packages in the middle of the driveway without reason (think...dog chasing you). With your number of complaints...the carrier should secretly observed by now, if caught, reprimanded. Seems to not have happened.

Yes, those scanners are pretty accurate on their gps location. My husband deals with this frequently when there are complaints that they did not receive their package, or when they try to say he didn't attempt to knock on the door. That scanner will show the PO how long it took him to walk up the driveway and even how long he stood at the door.

The post office most likely decided it wasn't worth the trouble attempting to get the package back. :rolleyes:
Love to see you back Rushia!!!:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">