• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Usual & Customary Charges Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahmajokester

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

My Health Insurance Provider failed to pay a portion of my claim last year for an Emergency Room visit. The policy covers 100% of Emergency Room visits after deductible. They failed to pay a portion of the claim, saying that the charges exceeded U&C. The incident occurred about 300 miles from where I live.

Here is the relevant part of the U&C definition in the contract:
"...made to persons having similar medical conditions in the locality of the Policyholder..."

I interpreted (and I think very reasonably so) this to mean in the locality where the incident occurred -- and where I had to receive treatment. The Insurance company, however, is basing U&C on WHERE MY PHYSICAL ADDRESS IS, NOT WHERE THE INCIDENT OCCURRED.

I think this can be interpreted either way.

My question is: Isn't this a "contract of adhesion" and therefore, the courts will rule in my favor since there is ambiguity in the contract? Also, if I have a valid argument (to make them pay) what is my best course of action (file small claims on my own, contact Insurance Commissioner)? Is there a time limit on when I can take action? -- the incident occurred last August and they told me they wouldn't pay in November -- I've been trying to think of what to do since then -- is it too late now?

Thanks so much in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">