• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utilities question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kl2233

Knoxville, Tennessee

My water bill is payed for by my landlord since I live in a six unit building, with only one main.

There are seperate cut off valves that he can personally turn off.

I am two weeks past due on my rent and he has threatened to turn off my water without any legal court documentation.

Is this legal?

treese

No it is not legal. In fact, shutting off any tenant's utilities can get a LL in more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:

kl2233

treese,

Thank you for your response. I have had a heck of a time finding info on this situation.

I even called the utility company, and they didn't know.

treese

Pay your rent. Though I don't agree with the landlord's threat to turn off your water, I can understand his frustration.

At some point your Landlord is going to realize what he has to do legally to evict you. An eviction for non payment of rent is never good on a rental record and will make finding another apartment much harder for you. Not to mention a monetary judgement, wage garnishment etc...

south

Only in a perfect landlord world.

Pay the rent before it turns into 4 weeks and grows an ugly head.

kl2233 said:
Knoxville, Tennessee

My water bill is payed for by my landlord since I live in a six unit building, with only one main.

There are seperate cut off valves that he can personally turn off.

I am two weeks past due on my rent and he has threatened to turn off my water without any legal court documentation.

Is this legal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">