• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility Work markup Limit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighEnergy

Are there any limitations on the markup that a utility can charge on material for doing work like meter relocation?

Doing some RE consulting for a client involved in a value-added industrial investment in Miss.
Utility company quoting 65% markup on materials (25% for E&S, 20% for Minor Mat, 20% for Material Handling).

Have never seen such a high markup even in unregulated private industry and generally utilities are highly regulated.
I am thinking even IRS may have some regulation on how much maximum mark up on materical can be.

Please help with your knowledge. Appreciate your time.

adjusterjack

No, I don't imagine that there are any limits.

Whatever a utility company can do, should be able to be done by private contractors. If your client doesn't like the charges he's free to seek bids from other contractors.

quincy

Here is a link to Mississippi’s Public Service Commission:

https://www.psc.ms.gov/exec-sec/rules

You can click on Ratepayers’ Bill of Rights and check out Right 11, negotiating installment fees for initial service, and Right 16, on information on price and services.

Are you concerned about the markup on electric service or other utility services?

PayrollHRGuy

I am thinking even IRS may have some regulation on how much maximum mark up on materical can be.
Why would you think the Internal Revenue Service has anything to say about it?

If there is such a law, which I doubt there is in a nonresidential situation, it would be under your state's public service commission. As @quincy pointed out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">